• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Complete noob needs help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stratus_dresden

Registered
Hi guys,

I've recently decided to re-build my PC after my graphics card gave up on me and as its 3 years old its pretty out-dated. So far my list consists of the following (most of which I have already bought so changes can't be made):-

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe Motherboard (bought)
AMD ATHLON 64 X2 3800 CPU (bought
Buffalo 512Mb PC3200 400Mhz (reused from old setup)

The only 2 things I haven't decided on yet are the graphics card and the CPU heatsink. My budget is £50/$100 for the graphics card and £40/$80 for the heatsink, what do you recomend? I've been looking at a XPERTVISION NVIDIA 8600GT 1GB and Zalman CNPS9700NT.

Edit. And just one quick question, what are the advantages of a 1Gb card over a 512Mb card?, one has lager memory while the other has a faster GPU speed.

Last edited:

netmask

So how can we help? Do you have anything specific in your mind? How much are you planing to spend? Oh also :welcome:

netmask

I think you should also go for at least 1gb of RAM or 2 if you can though modern games need at least that amount. I almost forgot to mention that if you want to save some money from the cooler for the graphics it would be better, a low range cooler can handle that processor with ease.

OP
S

stratus_dresden

Registered
I'm getting a big discount on the CPU because it dosn't come with a heatsink (which I would have replaced anyway), hence my need for one. I've just read a review on the COOLERMASTER HYPER TX2 and it got really good results so I'm going with this one, plus its only £18/$36.

As for the graphics card the EVGA 8800GT is way out of my price range, £130/$260 being the best price in the UK. Is the XFX 8600GT a good compromise as its half the price at £52/$104?

ratbuddy

OP
S

stratus_dresden

Registered
I've already bought the XFX 8600GT now, I would have bought one of the others but my budget is extremely tight as I'm going to sunny Florida in a few weeks. If it lasts me a few months then I'll be happy and it gives me chance to save up and get something better, it's just I needed something to get me by.

blazed

9600GT just about doubles the 8600GT performance for about $125 AMIR, 8600GT is decent just don't bother with DX10 or high resolutions.

Gibbo3771

Yeah the 8600GT is a puddle of pish Especialy at £78, its not far of the 8500GT, i would just wait and get more cash for what youve got, your going to get stuff that aint worth it, A 9600GT is only £130 and a new CPU cooler can range from standard £5 to £15 or if you want one with copper heat pipes £15 to £30, i think the Palit 9600GT is only £118 and has a bad *** fan on it similar to the Blue Orb CPU cooler and it runs very cool at 32° Idle and 43° On full load, Crysis

Thats all i can help with :)