• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

complete re-format help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mustard Duster

A friend of mine's parents were having trouble with their computer so they were going to "re-install" everything with the system restore disk they had. Somehow it wasn't installed correctly (only god knows how these ppl did it) and they took it to BestBuy :mad: , and were told they needed to do a low level format. Since these ppl are so paranoid about their computer, and no one else can touch it, I'm going to walk them through the process. My question is can I just let them use FDISK to re-format and partition their drive, and then re-image it? I did a little research on "low level formatting" and found out that they should only use the software provided with their hd (which they don't have) to write zeros to there disk. Thanks for the help.

OP
Mustard Duster

Mustard Duster

Thanks. They live in another state, and were going to bring their computer with them, but then decided against it. IMO they probally didn't even re-format the drive.

Sonny

Senior TIFOSI
Forget the LowLevel Format for now, it's probably better to just do a normal format as in A:/ FORMAT C: /U /S. What OS are they using? With XP there is no need for the FDisk Utility since the Installation CD can take care of that. If they are still on W98SE tell them or print THIS out for them.

Sonny

Senior TIFOSI
/U = Unconditional Format
/S = Copies system files

The article I linked to explains everything & installing for ME is the same as installing for W98SE. Backing up wise tell them to get a copy of Norton Ghost & back up to another partition.

stool

Normally, those restore disks will do a format before the reinstall process. Did they try the restore disk again, or just give up on it? BTW, if you(or they) know what type of hard drive it is, you can DL the software from the manufacturer to prep the drive if the restore disk is completely unfunctional, as Xaotic suggests.

OP
Mustard Duster

Mustard Duster

I wanted them to bring the restore disk so I could try it myself and see if it did the re-format. But they didn't bring it. There just going to try again