• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Complete WC setup for $99? YAIIG?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

none1

YAIIG = Yet Another Is It Good posting. :)

Haven't gone WC yet, am looking. This kit looks solid, $99. Nice size heatercore, barbs already installed for us non modding n00bs. Your thoughts?

http://becooling.safeshopper.com/24/cat24.htm?210

Comes standard with:
*blaze copper WB and socket A clip
*Black & Chrome HeaterCore Radiator - 6.5" wide, 7.7" tall, 2" thick, 1/2" barbs installed
*Delta 120mm Ball Bearing Fan with Power connector and fan screws
*Assembled Via Aqua 1/2" pump, 1/2" Fill T
*7 feet of MasterKlear 1/2" Tubing

I'd stay away, but for a first time system for 100$ it might be a pretty good fit for some people.

If I were you, I would look buying the components seperately. It is not hard at all, if you can put together a PC, you can put together your own WC setup.

That kit doesn't look too bad at all.... the only thing I would disagree with is the waterblock... haha! but yeah I agree with runsalone, if you can build your own pc then you can build your own WC system.... good luck :)

Thanks. I have looked into buying the parts seperately, and this kit looks about like what I would get seperately. If buying parts seperately, what would you do diff? That heatercore looks better than from an auto parts store, and many here like the via pump.

So it looks like real good individual componets, and $100 smells like a real nice price for heater core / pump / block / tubing / fan.

I KNOW that if I buy an auto heater core, and modify the barbs, it will leak. I've got an ungift for those things. :)

Thanks much for sugestions.

I have built many PC from scratch..... but... I never build a WC system before... there is some fear element in there... about leakage... condensation.... etc

I have been reading up posts in this forum.... flow rate, water/coolant mix radio are way over my head... however, {PS}Fishy recommand the following parts to me... what do yall think?

Block - Dangerden Maze2 or Maze3 w/Copper top 3/8" Barbs
Radiator - Heatcore @ autozone mod for 3/8" for $18 or buy finished
Pump - ViaAqua 1300
Hose - 3/8ID can get at any homestore for very little
Fans- 2 120mm Sunon 131cfm
Shrouds- Can be made for a few $$ of purchased

your parts look good to me, that modding the heater core scares me. :) I'm leaning 1/2 instead of 3/8, but there seem to be enough smart people on both sides that it probably really doesn't matter. :)

AND, the whole WC from scratch IS more dif than putting together a comp. With the comp, all you gotta do is plug the pointy things into the hole things of the same size. The only hard part is remembering to plug ALL the pointy things in (like the cpu fan power cord :) ) With this WC stuff, from scratch you gotta bend stuff (shrouds do take some amount of talent. and NO, I can't make a paper airplane either) put screws where no screws were (fan to core) solder / mod barbs, etc..

WC from scratch might not be hard, but its not as easy as simple plug things together that are made to go together when building a comp. :)

good luck EluSiOn!

I heard 3/8" tubing is the best fit for 1/2" barbs. I guess they list the OD for barbs by default, or am I wrong about that?

if they list the barbs 1/2 thin you would normaly use 1/2 ID tubing HOWEVER you can stretch the 3/8 ID tubing over the 1/2 barb too. I would go with the 1/2 barb and tubing because it makes your pumps work less and it will handle more heat. That setep looks fine to me besides for the waterblock. As for the heatercore you can get a bigger one that will fit 2 120mm fans at a auto store or online but that is up to you to deside on.

h2o can get pretty hard to setup if you dont already have the fan hole precut in the case or have to move around some things.

oh yea get a maze2/3 or a swifty waterblock if you can.

you will be hard pressed to fit 3/8 vinyl over 1/2 barbs (1/2barbs mean they are mean't for 1/2 tubing). And the sad part is that 3/8 barbs for your 3/8 vinyl will have very small channels inside (~1/4" inch). If you can use silicon or clearflex60 or tygon, then 3/8" tubing will stretch over 1/2 barbs, but not vinyl

Ok, that does make more sense. I was thinking you'd need 5/8" barbs to use 1/2" tubing effectively. Thankfully that doesn't seem to be the case then. =)

For a hundred bucks it looks pretty good to me :)

I wouldn't expect it to compete with a well built homebrewed setup, or the best of the prebuilts (Swiftech, IMO) but for half the money it should do well and be much quiter than air-cooling to the same temps.

If you want the coolest water cooling you can get, the block and radiator both look suspect to me, but in real world terms my guess would be about 5 or 6c temp difference MAX.

rogerdugans said:

If you want the coolest water cooling you can get, the block and radiator both look suspect to me ....

You're like the 4th person so far (various threads) that say the radiator or block look suspect.

OK WHY?

The dimensions of the heater core are 6.5" wide, 7.7" tall, 2" thick, that's quite a bit bigger and so should cool MUCH better than the chevette heatercores others talk about. I mean, its not as big as a TRUCK heatercore, but its bigger than most sedans.

As for the block,
http://www.amdmb.com/article-display.php?ArticleID=185&PageID=1
amdmb gets only 4 degrees over ambient at full SETI load, that's better than the watercooling rigs on the homepage here.

Dude here
http://www.pimprig.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=65
Gets a 2 degree diff between idle and load at 1.85 volts, and a 4 degree diff between idle and load at 2 volts.

The heater LOOKS and specs out better than most auto cores, and has the barbs all set to go. The waterblock is from a company that specializes in watercooling.

I'm not trying to unload on you roger, as I've gotten the exact same response form a bunch of folks. "kits are bad, part your own together". I part my own out, and end up with pretty close to the kit in my origional post.

from here
http://www.aquastealth.com/

There's gotta be something I'm missing, is this type of heater core known to be poor, have high flow resistance, what?

Thanks all,

honestly thats quite a deal, and all looks good and very upgradeable, does it come with the rez and all? if so go for it man!
and that rad, its the same thing as the chevette basicly

maskedgeek said:
honestly thats quite a deal, and all looks good and very upgradeable, does it come with the rez and all? if so go for it man!
and that rad, its the same thing as the chevette basicly

No resivoir, the one I posted is a T-line, they have a res for slight more cost.

Thanks on the info on the rad similiar to the chevette, it LOOKS like an auto heatercore, I just can't tell if there is a real diff or if all heatercores are basically the same thing cept for size.

I say, go for it, talk to liss, he has some block or something from there...

it looks like adecent kit overall, but watch out for that wateer block. U might end up buying this and end up chucking the waterblock and spending more moolah

Just remember that it's easy to beat that deal by assembling our own equipment:

pump: 20-25 bucks at pet shop
tubing: 5 bucks
heatercore: 12-15 bucks at car parts shop
fan: 13-15 bucks
res: 2 bucks tupperware container or 7 bucks electrical junction box
block: 30-40 bucks?

That gives you about a 90$ total. I put higher prices for some of the stuff like the heatercore which you can get most plaes for 10 bucks easy. By spending more on a block you'll get better performance.

Just to make sure, the block in the is the BLAZE block, NOT the Jagged edge. There is a difference. Still, seems like a good deal to me.

One more thing to note: IT seems to me that the guys over at amdmb get REDICULOUSLY low temps when they test waterblocks.

OK, I ordered the AMD Custom Kit from www.dangerden.com and I got my pump from becooling.safeshopper.com. Then I got greedy and order blue LED fans, light kit and Digital Doc 5 Thermal Management Center from www.ocsystem.com. Then I got even more greedy and ordered CASE CHIEF|AX01BLDSPX2 U1 BLU 420W from www.newegg.com

Wanna guess how much did I spend?

:eek: USD$520 :eek:

:cry: I guess I need to setup a website "help-elusion.com" accepting paypal donation to get me by this month. The next pay-day is 20 days away! :bang head

I would still say go make your own. Sure it would take more time but it will be worth it for the performance you get. I still dont like that waterblock and I think you can get a better heatercore that will hold 2 120mm fans on one side. This mean you can get some real quiet fans without loosing anything.

EluSiOn said:
OK, I ordered the AMD Custom Kit from www.dangerden.com and I got my pump from becooling.safeshopper.com. Then I got greedy and order blue LED fans, light kit and Digital Doc 5 Thermal Management Center from www.ocsystem.com. Then I got even more greedy and ordered CASE CHIEF|AX01BLDSPX2 U1 BLU 420W from www.newegg.com

Wanna guess how much did I spend?

:eek: USD$520 :eek:

yeesh, yeah right damn man, tjat's 832 dollars CANADIAN! It takes me 21 months of allowance to save up for that!

Back