• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Completed Window Etching

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

krm197

Registered
I decided upon an image from megatokyo (online web comic) as the basis for my window etching. Looks pretty sweet, although I'm getting some blue cathodes in soon, so should look even better then :D

Side Panel by itself
2DSC00808.jpg

Side Panel w/ light on
2DSC00811.jpg

The second pic doesn't really do justice to how cool it looks. Plus the light seems orange from the camera...

cwb27

Try putting LEDs along the perimeter, the light will travel through the plastic and only show up on the etched areas. Nice job!

OP
krm197

krm197

Registered
No, I printed out an outline of an existing pic, and just taped it to the back. I used an etching bit with a dremel.

weponhead

which size bit did you use? the 105 , 107 or 109? i just got a 105 yesterday ... much easier to handle than the 109 :p

OP
krm197

krm197

Registered
I did indeed use the smallest round bit. Except for the kanji on the side, where I used the largest, simply because of the large area I needed to do.

I think he probably means go the fiber-optic route, as the light would really bounce off the etching and make it stand out.

DaveSauce

how deep is your etching? That's where I think fiber-optic would fail.....not much to reflect off, being that mine is merely a surface scratch. I wouldn't think that light from the side would catch on it.....but then again, i'm no physics major, so bah. Either way, I dont have enough space to use it as fiber optic......my window butts up right against the edge of my door....lol, my window is huge...

damn cold cathodes havent shipped yet.....****ing me off. called yesterday, they said they would ship yesterday. They didn't. Called today, they said they would ship today....they didn't. Now they're telling me they will ship monday........they better.

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
krm197 said:
I decided upon an image from megatokyo (online web comic) as the basis for my window etching. Looks pretty sweet, although I'm getting some blue cathodes in soon, so should look even better then :D

Side Panel by itself
[ IMG]http://www.theforumisdown.com/uploadfiles/1102/2DSC00808.jpg [ /IMG]

Side Panel w/ light on
[ IMG]http://www.theforumisdown.com/uploadfiles/1102/2DSC00811.jpg[ /IMG]

The second pic doesn't really do justice to how cool it looks. Plus the light seems orange from the camera...

You are now officially the coolest person I have ever encountered. Can I have your manbaby (not gay)?

Are you going to email those pics to Fred?

OP
krm197

krm197

Registered
The method I found that worked best was to guide the dremel away from my body as I etched. This also allows the etching to stand out really well, and appear "white". If you pull the dremel towards you, it has a tendency to kick up acrylic, and the etching doesn't show up as well.

Mikey7

Registered
I just finished my first window etching (pic not available yet). I used some hand etching tools. cost about $30 at the local hobby shop. The etching does not have to be very deep at all to pick up LED edge lighting. What I have found tho is that I am going to have to use 3 or 4 leds spaced around the window to get a good balance. haven't got that worked out yet. Anybody got a good idea about how to mount the LEDS along the edges?

DarkHawk

Could try using those Lazer LED's from Crazy PC Mods, the have three really bright ones that spread out along a nice arc, could use 2 of em and place one on the top and one on the bottom....would be really bright and you wouldn't need to run the CC all the time.