• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Completely lexan case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
I'm planning on make completely Lexan computer case (doesn't smell ANYWHERE near as bad as acrylic when cut) and was wondering what any of you prospective buyers would pay for one (wink wink).
I'll be making

Full tower (5 x 5.25, 5 x 3.5)
and
Mid-Tower (3 x 5.25, 4 x 3.5)

All cases will have recessed hinges on the side doors, standard motherboard tray, all removable sides, movable 2 x 3.25 tray, a hydraulic opening drive-bay\power switch cover, and locks on the front and side (to protect your case at LAN parties or college).
They won't include power supplies seeing as most people prefer to buy system specific models.

Captain Slug (May 27, 2001 11:16 p.m.):
I'm planning on make completely Lexan computer case (doesn't smell ANYWHERE near as bad as acrylic when cut) and was wondering what any of you prospective buyers would pay for one (wink wink).
I'll be making

Full tower (5 x 5.25, 5 x 3.5)
and
Mid-Tower (3 x 5.25, 4 x 3.5)

All cases will have recessed hinges on the side doors, standard motherboard tray, all removable sides, movable 2 x 3.25 tray, a hydraulic opening drive-bay\power switch cover, and locks on the front and side (to protect your case at LAN parties or college).
They won't include power supplies seeing as most people prefer to buy system specific models.

assuming they have all these features, I would be more than willing to buy at least a Mid-Tower. I woudl say $150 at most for the midtower. Not too sure if I would want the Full Tower. Just make it a nice big Midtower!

keeping in mind 2 things........I wouldn't own a lexan/Plexiglass case because of........

1) it's prone to hold static electricity.......rub your hair against it........or carpet.....or you pet.......bet you'll see the little blue bolts.........

2) it loves to hold heat. Metal cases help to dissipate heat......plastic ones act as insulation and retain heat.

Tons of sites out with plastic cases tho........they're just not big sellers.

May I also suggest you count the cost? While acrylic may smell bad when you're working with it, Lexan, with it's bulletproof/unbreakable warranty is a lot more expensive!

I've worked with with Lexan before and it doesn't have any more static properties than aluminum. $150 is perfectly fair for a Mid-Tower and materials don't cost as much if you buy in larger sheets. And the other cases are selling but their prices are ridiculous ($204 for a mid-tower acrylic)
I got tired of trying to chop up aluminum cases because they leave such a mess behind when you're modding them.

Here's the measurements I've decided on thus far...
Full-Tower = H24" W8" D16" $170
Mid-Tower = H18" W8" D16" $120
Here's a pic of the paint design I have in mind for my Lexan case.

I can't pool the dough to make more than one case. When I get around to it I'll be posting a tutorial here on how to make a 100% custom case and where to get the parts needed for the project. One Completely Lexan case would cost $80 in material to build.

nice paint design, but you're wrong about the static part. I'm not a plasticologist, but I know that you can easily generate static electricity with a plastic case as there's no way to ground it. A metal case is grounded and impossible to get to "charge up".

I can't see plastic as being any less messy either to work with. Harsh chemicals with loud vapors, plastic dust from drilling and more expensive than actually buying sheet metal and building your own case.

Although they look cool.........they're twice as hot as well since the plastic acts as an insulator. So where exactly are those benefits again?

There are some plastics that are not conductive. I don't know if Lexan is or not. I have several plastic electronic storage bins that are not conductive. As for the insulation properties, just remeber that they use plastic fillers in house insulation.

Back