• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Compromising between 4K, G-Sync and 144hz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tomic888

I've got a laptop with a GeForce 980M GTX and I plan on buying an external monitor, around 28 inch for
normal usage such as essay writing, web surfing and some gaming (1080p and 1440p).
In a perfect world I would get a 4K, 144Hz, G-Sync monitor but since that does not exist I will need to find a compromise.
I think G-Sync would really benefit me as my 980M GPU gets around 40fps on the new demanding games such as Witcher 3 on Ultra Settings.

Therefore I will need to choose between G-Sync 1440p with 144Hz and G-Sync 4K with 60Hz.

First of all I doubt a 980M can get 100+ fps in games on High Settings so perhaps there is no point in getting a 144Hz monitor,
although in some games it does get almost 100fps so a 4K monitor that can be overclocked to 100Hz would be ideal. Does it exist though?

Secondly, is there much visual difference between 4K and 1440p on a 28 inch monitor?

Thanks

I would hesitate to even go to 1440p on a 980m, personally.

I would hesitate to even go to 1440p on a 980m, personally.

But I am not talking about 1440p gaming, mostly 1080p gaming.
I would like a 4K monitor due to a nice visual and more screen space. Maybe even 4K movies, that would be cool :)

Have you considered a 4K monitor (TV) that upscales 1080p? Seems like it would fit the bill for you to game in 1080 and then 4K for other stuff.......

You can get a 43" Vizio M series for under $500 if you look around, this is what I have my eyes on as the high end 1440P monitors are stupid expensive right now.......

I would avoid a TV for computer use, the response time is typically terrible.

Back