• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Compucase HEC PSU and case.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ritalin

Hey people!
I think im gonna be getting that case:
http://pch.co.il/docs/pd612373275.htm
so i wanted to know what you guys thought of the psu that was included with it and HEC PSU's in general since i think the salesman will let me get the 475w instead if i add a little money. Is it considered as a "name brand" that i can cound on?
Talking about the 475, in israel i can get both the 1 and 2 fan ones. Actually im not sure i can get the 2 fan one where im gonna buy my case... is there a big difference ?
Thx
Ritalin

Hookem

Really like the case...Would have already checked one out if Directron had that case in black...If it is anything like this Compucase it is a great case...DeathKnight "approved"

http://store.yahoo.com/directron/6919.html

HEC makes good power supply's but a 300watter would be iffy at best unless you have a very basic system...:)

Oklahoma Wolf

Senior Warranty Validity Sealed Stick Remover
I hear good things about HEC as a PSU maker, but I would upgrade to the 475 myself. Unless you need the extra cooling from the bottom fan, the single fan version should be fine.

Deathknight

Hehe yeah that case is indeed Deathknight tested and approved :D Actually the case I really recommend is the LX-6A19 which has the dual 120mm fans which is THIS case at directron:
http://store.yahoo.com/directron/cslx6a19bl.html

Never realized they had a model with 80mm intake fans before now!

As for the PSU I would worry about the 300w as well. What other PSU options do you have where you live? HEC isn't a bad brand and if you can get a 475w that will probably do a good job for ya. I know some other brands(like fortron) seem to be hard to come by in other countries... :(

OP
Ritalin

Ritalin

That's the case i linked to, just different colors.
I can get enermax and antec PSUs... no fortron or sparkle though :(
I can get up to 475w hec psu's...
Ritalin

larrymoencurly

HEC's real good.

How about Fortron/Sparkle under another name, like Aopen, Trend, Hi-Q, Powerman, or PowerTech? BTW, be careful about buying PowerTech because a lot of times you get a PowerTek, AKA PowerCrud, instead.

Hookem

Shucks...thought the other Compucase had a 120m/m up front also...And yeah that Compucase is "Hookem" approved courtesy of DeathKnight's recommendation...They work!!!! :D

Hookem

Well HEC is known to make very good power supply's...Well made...A good brand for sure...It aint no Powmax...Or Ka-PowMax...As in smoking, smoldering, flaming inside your case...But a 300watter would be just for your very basic comp...And I mean basic...Overclock??? I dont think so...Headroom??? Nah... I use a bunch of 300watt Fortron's with the single 120m/m fan for basic builds...But have started to move away from them...

http://store.yahoo.com/directron/fsp30060pn.html

They work great...But for the little ole change difference from stepping up to the 350watt Fortron from NewEgg, I have starting using the 350watter more and more...If it is a bare bones and all they want is cheap then the 300 is what they get...But generally speaking a 300watt power supply just does not cut it with today's systems...The HEC would probably work, But I would not expect it to power say a 9800 Pro, a RAID-0+1 and bunch of fans a couple of optical drives and some lighting, that's for sure...300's for sure would not cut it for most of the applications at this forum...Some of these guy's have to have 430watt plus power supply's...Darn things probably would not even turn on with a 300watt supply...;)

Breadfan

Inactive Moderator
HEC's are decent units. HEC does (or atleast used to) make the PSU's for Antec. (They were basically OEM Antec)

So they are comparable to basic Antec units. (Not truepower.) Good PSU's, but I'd not go below 350w for a PSU these days.

I've used some of the 300w versions on older Tbirds and Durons, they all worked pretty well. Think I've used about 3 of them, with decent results. But I can say the 300w versions aren't too hard to outgrow with todays hardware, so I'd definitely look into the 475w version.

Oklahoma Wolf

Senior Warranty Validity Sealed Stick Remover
Breadfan said:
HEC's are decent units. HEC does (or atleast used to) make the PSU's for Antec. (They were basically OEM Antec)

So they are comparable to basic Antec units. (Not truepower.) Good PSU's, but I'd not go below 350w for a PSU these days.

HEC made a few models in the pp series (like the pp352x IIRC) - all the newer ones to my knowledge are Channel Well including the SL's and Truepowers.

OP
Ritalin

Ritalin

Oh i didnt know they made those psu's...
I think i didnt get my message through, Im definitely not gonna keep the 300w. My plan is to get the 475W (1 or 2 fans, not quite sure yet what i can actually find). Or i could just get an antec/enermax. I think my 3 options for the psu are:
HEC 475W
Antec Truepower 430 (is it too much/little?)
Enermax 465W with the litle adjustable knob thing.
What do you think?
Ritalin

Hookem

I would take the Enermax off my list of possible power supply's...You can get more PSU for the money in my humble opinion...;)