• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer a fire-hazard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cyrix_2k

My neighbor's parents are convinced that something is bound to catch fire if is/has lots of wires, old, metal, has tape/cardboard/plastic/metal/lots of stuff on the inside... This includes speaker wire and the computer I recently sold their son. I see no reason that ANY of that would be a hazard as the wire is pretty much all low-current and the computer PSU isn't dusty at all. I pointed out that leaving gas cans open in the garage is dangerous and that walmart goods are VERY dangerous when compared to a computer made of high-quality parts and speaker wire going to speakers... They don't buy it. They're like "well you're not an electrician/ certified computer dude, so we can't trust you" ...but they trust the components the chinese make for an overwhelming 2cents... I WC my computer, build/fix computers for other people, and offer advice on electronic/electrical things all the time. An electrician once told me that I could prob knew enough to become certified by the state... Yeah, like I don't know what I'm talking about...

Anyone else have a problem like this/ support me/ support them?

Rpkole

yep i have had probs like this a few time one of them was when my boss was going to get a new computer for work i told her i could build her a very good one for about $800 well to make a long story short whe went to a local computer shop and had them build her one and it ended up costing her $2000 and i have looked in side it and there is nothing there worth $2000
list of parts in the computer
MSI mobo
Intell P4 2.8
1 Gb of mem
2 80GB hdd in raid1
readon 7000 with 64Mb of mem
and a 20inch CRT monitor

Phugbox

same story here, had my dad come downstairs to come visit me, ask me all about what he should get int a computer, what parts he needed, what it was going to cost him. I outlined his needs, and what hardware would fit his needs, and gave him a part by part run down of two comparable systems, one amd and one intel that both would have brought him in under 900 canadian.

he says thank you and then goes off and pays 2.5 g for a computer that he doesn't need.

the man has a 2.4 gig processor and a 512 sitck of ddr 400 and a 120 gig drive. the man only uses wordprocessing, and email and basic internet functions.

bu that's ok, I'm not bitter. not bitter at all

Phug

Aslan

Well, computers are potential fire hazards if you buy cheap components or if you don't maintain them properly. I have had a monitor catch fire (twice, second a few months after the repair job) and I've also heard of a few component "mishaps" where they caught on fire, most notably Deer power supplies, and also I remember an old sound card as well.
However, the majority of these in question were all cheap components; with quality products and if you have at least some awareness of what's going on, then you don't have to worry very much at all.

Salami_Joe

Don't let peoples ignorance get to you, It's their money they may do what they please with it. As long as you know what you're doing. Plus you have the support of pretty much everyone here.

OP
Cyrix_2k

Cyrix_2k

My neighbor's son bought the computer, but his parents are scared it's going to burn down the house... He doesn't care. Meanwhile, his parents leave this POS Compaq plugged in, a made in china toaster, and other devices that very well could catch on fire plugged in. They're not willing to hear the truth about these devices from a 15 year old...

OP
Cyrix_2k

Cyrix_2k

Aslan said:
Well, computers are potential fire hazards if you buy cheap components or if you don't maintain them properly. I have had a monitor catch fire (twice, second a few months after the repair job) and I've also heard of a few component "mishaps" where they caught on fire, most notably Deer power supplies, and also I remember an old sound card as well.
However, the majority of these in question were all cheap components; with quality products and if you have at least some awareness of what's going on, then you don't have to worry very much at all.
Like the kind of parts found in a dusty 6 year old Compaq? :p

OP
Cyrix_2k

Cyrix_2k

Phugbox said:
same story here, had my dad come downstairs to come visit me, ask me all about what he should get int a computer, what parts he needed, what it was going to cost him. I outlined his needs, and what hardware would fit his needs, and gave him a part by part run down of two comparable systems, one amd and one intel that both would have brought him in under 900 canadian.

he says thank you and then goes off and pays 2.5 g for a computer that he doesn't need.

the man has a 2.4 gig processor and a 512 sitck of ddr 400 and a 120 gig drive. the man only uses wordprocessing, and email and basic internet functions.

Phug
Happened to me on more then one occasion(sp?)... They must be thinking "but we bought a PROFESSIONAL grade computer..."

Mr.Guvernment

^^^ or they just figure because some guy works in a store selling these things - they MUST know what they are talking about - i used to love going into computer stores like CompUSA and stuff and talking about a system - or over hearing someone talking to a sales rep about a system - often once the sales rep left i would let the person in on a few secrets - like the person they were tlaking to has NO clue what they are talking about!

Rafjr00

Ummmmmmmmmm...I love going into Bestbuy or CompUSA and just ripping apart the sales reps. Makes me feel better after a bad week :argue: is that a bad thing? As for your friends parents tell them to go to a local "real" computer store and utter the name of any OEM, espesally Comcrap. Please if this place builds their own systems and has an knowledge warn these peeps that they may be assulted and thrown out of the store for defiling it's holy ground. I more then once told a person too leave the shop i was running after a they came in and asked about the system that we built and the price, then told me well the one at walmart is only $399 and thats with a monitor and then I would try too explaine to them why it only cost $399, but they just did not understand how they were getting ripped off by buying a cheaper computer. I have know left the computer field and am glad for it cause now anyone who asks for my help knowa it is in their best interest too take it as they are my friends and family, alot fewer headaches.

Quigsby

Phugbox said:

Phug

Wow, that same exact thing happened to me, except for it was in US Dollars LOL.

Dad bought a PIII 933Mhz machine. The following summer I got my 1.53Ghz AMD machine and only paid half of what he did. :attn:

OP
Cyrix_2k

Cyrix_2k

Rafjr00 said:
Ummmmmmmmmm...I love going into Bestbuy or CompUSA and just ripping apart the sales reps. Makes me feel better after a bad week :argue: is that a bad thing? As for your friends parents tell them to go to a local "real" computer store and utter the name of any OEM, espesally Comcrap. Please if this place builds their own systems and has an knowledge warn these peeps that they may be assulted and thrown out of the store for defiling it's holy ground. I more then once told a person too leave the shop i was running after a they came in and asked about the system that we built and the price, then told me well the one at walmart is only $399 and thats with a monitor and then I would try too explaine to them why it only cost $399, but they just did not understand how they were getting ripped off by buying a cheaper computer. I have know left the computer field and am glad for it cause now anyone who asks for my help knowa it is in their best interest too take it as they are my friends and family, alot fewer headaches.
That's them. I don't think they'd get much out of a visit to our local computer store...

My dad brings me into best buy/ comp usa every time he needs to buy anything electronic. It's really funny listening to the sales reps...

KierenRei

Registered
My grandparents just did the exact same thing. They get a 2.8ghzp4, 1gb ram, radeon9600 and all the do is internet, word, and LOW requirement programs. And they paid around 1700 for it

I just hate to think they could have used that money for....LCD TV maybe?

Salami_Joe

Cyrix_2k said:
My dad brings me into best buy/ comp usa every time he needs to buy anything electronic. It's really funny listening to the sales reps...

HAHA i love comp USA for that sole reason, no one there knows anything (aside from the guys behind the computer repair counter). My dad asked the guy the difference between two cable modems. So the guy picks up the boxes and starts mumbling stuff in spanish (i think) to himself, so i walked away. Five minutes later I walked back and it was the same thing. T'was sad because my dad was really listening... :rolleyes:

OP
Cyrix_2k

Cyrix_2k

KierenRei said:
My grandparents just did the exact same thing. They get a 2.8ghzp4, 1gb ram, radeon9600 and all the do is internet, word, and LOW requirement programs. And they paid around 1700 for it

I just hate to think they could have used that money for....LCD TV maybe?
Atleast my grand-parents would let me either build them a machine or recommend a nice OEM machine.They'd be using the internet, word and some very low key picture editing software.

Also, I hate how the sales reps sucker people who lack computer related knowledge into buying these high-end (for an OEM anyway...) systems they don't need.

dark_15

Drunken Master JNCIE Senior
Cyrix_2k said:
That's them. I don't think they'd get much out of a visit to our local computer store...

A new Best Buy opened near me a few days ago... I went inside and asked them if they sold a Shuttle PC there (I saw one mentioned in a PC World magazine ad).
The guy replied, "What's that?"
I replied, "A Small Form Factor PC." The rep then asked his rep friend who had no idea either... then they asked the manager of the store... and he was lost also. He told me he thought a Shuttle was a bus ride! It took a great deal of self control to keep from busting out laughing...

Guderian

Think of it this way:

All those people buying equipment they don't need helps to bring the cost down so those of us who know its quality aren't paying ungodly high prices for it.

bicster

Registered
The only reason people get really good computers (that use low requirement / don't know anything about computers / etc..) is cause there old ones get overwhelmed with spyware (not knowing so or how to fix) so they get a good one hoping its not gonna be like the old one.