• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer animation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MoltenVball

Hey,

I have recently been contacted to look into computer animation and to see what the best options are (within reason taking into consideration budget and results). I'm not used to doing this type of thing but am willing to learn so I turn it to the community. What are the best/most practical software packages out there? How long should I expect to spend learning the software before I can do anything well? I am not looking to do movie quality stuff, just easy animations to supplement a lesson that is given. I value your opinion, as I am just trying to learn! Thanks everyone.

SeanBest

What types of animations? Got an example of something your trying to create? There are TONS of options, but your request is really vague.

I've used Photoshop for some basic animations.
You could use Sony Vegas for more complicated animations over video.

Really need more info.

burningcpu

Mobo Cooking Member

Well, my wife is getting ready to take a class in Maya, which is a pretty awesome suite. I think they used it in Avatar.

You also can use it for single image 3d artistry.

OP
MoltenVball

MoltenVball

Sorry for being vague. I guess that shows how little I know about the topic as a whole. What I was given as a model of the type of work is this clip,
It is something small but still seems nice, I don't need avatar greatness but something simple and functional.

DavidJa

if your not looking into strictly 3d modeling/animation which unless you use blender 3d or the like your looking at some serious $$ to invest in 3d studio max or maya. You could probably get away with some basic animation using flash

nightelph

if your not looking into strictly 3d modeling/animation which unless you use blender 3d or the like your looking at some serious $$ to invest in 3d studio max or maya. You could probably get away with some basic animation using flash

+1 Don't know what your budget is and how complex an animation you want, but flash has a much less steep learning curve and is far cheaper. My two cents.

OP
MoltenVball

MoltenVball

Budget is undecided at the moment, but the more economical the better. Any places, links, or the like that you could direct me to so that I can read into how to do this flash design and so on?