• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer cannot see Router. Suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FunkDaMonkMan

I have a computer that was directly connected to a cable modem. I disconnected it from the cable modem and connected it to a router (Linksys BEFSR41v3). Told the computer to refresh its IP address... nothing. Assigned a static ip.... nothing. Uninstalled the network card drivers and reinstalled.... nothing. I have another computer on the network that does see the router.

The computer that works can ping the router (192.168.1.1) just fine, but the other computer cannot even ping the router. Whenever I first reinstalled the card, it automatically came up with some random 169.XXX.XXX.XXX ip address. When i tried to ping the router i got "destination host is unreachable". When i manually set the IP ot 192.168.1.2 I got timout errors.

I have uninstalled the firewall, but a virus scanner (McAfee) is still installed and running.

Can anyone help?

Thanks