• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer Exposed to smoke/fire

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wuzzapiman

i had a basement fire and my computer was exposed to smoke and 150 degrees F. it is now running at 50+ C when before it was running at around 37-42 C. should i get 2K from the insurance people?

Maximouse

wuzzapiman said:
i had a basement fire and my computer was exposed to smoke and 150 degrees F. it is now running at 50+ C when before it was running at around 37-42 C. should i get 2K from the insurance people?

Run every sort of stress test you can on all the components for awhile. If its damaged and its going to fail, it will quickly.

OP
W

wuzzapiman

im getting like 4000 on 3dmark 2k1 instead of 9K and the video card is overheating constantly....smoke in cdrw drive
is it worth replacing???

ThePerfectCore

Red Raccoon Dojo
You sure a cooling fan didn't melt or something?

Sounds like it's time to take the thing apart and completely clean it. Who knows what kind of fun smoke particles are in it now...

DAGO

Curmudgeon
If it is damaged, don't even hesitate to claim it on the fire insurance...That's what you pay the premiums for...
No sense in settling for damaged goods when you have them insured...
File a claim, its not as if your scamming anyone...;)

Maximouse

wuzzapiman said:
im getting like 4000 on 3dmark 2k1 instead of 9K and the video card is overheating constantly....smoke in cdrw drive
is it worth replacing???

So it is damaged in the fire and not operating anywhere near spec and having problems. Tell them it was ruined in the fire as you are probably going to have to get a new one anyway.

OP
W

wuzzapiman

What about proof of damage (if they want that)
wut kinda money could i get for this:
90$ burner
Xp 2100+ ARIOA
MSI KT3 Ultra 2 (no raid)
GF3 ti200 ($200 when bought)
SBlive! 5.1 dolby--.75-1.5 years old?
Case+PSU 70$ when bought
Fans 4 80mm
20$ 100%copper heatsink
Ethernet card
4 port USB card (state of the art when bought)
256Mb PC 2700 w/ Heatspreader

Effort?

How much could I get the insurance company to fall for that and make sure my dad believes its worth that price.

Maximouse

wuzzapiman said:
What about proof of damage (if they want that)
wut kinda money could i get for this:
90$ burner
Xp 2100+ ARIOA
MSI KT3 Ultra 2 (no raid)
GF3 ti200 ($200 when bought)
SBlive! 5.1 dolby--.75-1.5 years old?
Case+PSU 70$ when bought
Fans 4 80mm
20$ 100%copper heatsink
Ethernet card
4 port USB card (state of the art when bought)
256Mb PC 2700 w/ Heatspreader

Effort?

How much could I get the insurance company to fall for that and make sure my dad believes its worth that price.

Chances are for something as trivial as that, they wont even question it. All you have to do is work out the cost on what it would take to replace your system with one of equal value of the one you lost. Use current market prices. Embellish a bit, but dont get greedy.

If they do send someone....well, He probably wouldnt know the difference between a pocket calculator and a Cray:p

You could always pull the bios chip to make sure it wont work;)

Al

Last edited:

Mr. $T$

If you want to get rid of that 2100+ I will take it:D Need a folder:p

It is damaged sooo get the money that you pay every month.

Embellish it go to overpriced websites and show them that it is really worth that much.

And go retail on everything because it is more expensive.:D

Maximouse

wuzzapiman said:
retail.....hmmmmmmmmm
maybe i could squeeze a thousand buks for that

Well, depending on when you bought the parts.

Say you got them last year, what you would pay for your Vid card then could probably get you the next step up now. So price a GF4. 40 Gig HD? Price a 60 Gig now. Get the Idea?