• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer for a restaurant

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jorockstar84

Hi guys, I would need your help on that one. My mom's restaurant needs a new computer, when they started 6 months ago they bought it used and now it isn't doing so well. She then asked me to build one for her, but I'm not sure to know which part to get for the use.
She's using a touch screen with the cash register. I snapped a picture of the rear IO

(sorry they are dark, I took a close up one of the plug I don't know about)

12465427_10207553527452782_1250518197_o.jpg 12470959_10207553527532784_618496669_o.jpg

If possible she'd like to keep the software she's using without needing the help of the tech who first installed it. If needed tho she will.
We're living in Canada and I usually order my components from Newegg.ca.

Thanks for the help guys, she'd like a new one before the one she has breaks while she attends to her clients.

I think she's still running windows xp, but I will have to confirm

Edit: She is running windows xp

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
go look at the refurbed, hp systems newegg sells, they are from banks and such, the dc 5700 and up.
the things are little tanks and if you lose your baseball, it'll fill in for that also.
they have massive cooling so the fur balls like the ones sticking out of your rear IO panel will not matter.
just buy two, activate both operating systems, buy a cloning dock and just keep the second disk up to date.
and talk about cheap, $120!!!!

OP
J

jorockstar84

Like this one? http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883256365&ignorebbr=1

"buy a cloning dock and just keep the second disk up to date." You mean something like RAID 1?

Edit: So, I get the comp I linked, an HDD dock with an extra 80GB HDD. I set those up in RAID 1 and install Win7 with the new key? Then we reinstall the software on the new hard drive

Last edited:

trents

No, not RAID. Something like this: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...drive_cloning_dock-_-9SIAA063NM1013-_-Product

Actually, have you done any trouble shooting on the existing PC to see why it isn't functioning properly? It may be something simple.

For starters it looks like someone needs to take a compressor to its insides and give it a good cleaning.

By the way, the port you mention as unknown is a reversed gender VGA port. A monitor cable with a female plug (atypical but they do exist) would use that port for the display.

Does it need a good scanning and cleaning for malware?

Does it have damaged system Windows system files that could be fixed with a command prompt string like "sfc /scannow" (without quotes and run with administrator privileges)?

Does it have a hard drive that's failing? Check with CrystalDiskInfo, a free program.

What is your level of tech savy?

Joe88

That's actually a RS232 DB9 serial connector which could have been used to connect pretty much anything back in the day
Is the connector even hooked up to anything? (they do make converters DB9->USB)

Zuzzz

Premium Member
Indeed one of those is a vga port and the other an old RS-232 port. What I notice is it does not have the old printer ports. It means that thing while old may not be too old. Im willing to guess as Trents suggests go over that thing and clean it up. Scan it for viri etc . . It may work well. Who knows depending on the chip etc inside you might even be able to put a few bucks in it and give it an upgrade. I mean I wouldnt spend a whole bunch of cash on it but for example you might find a cheap video card and stick in it. That in and of itself might be just enough to keep it going a few more years.

Say sometihng like::
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150565

Z

trents

Thanks for the correction on the port, guys. I was just going by the color and shape of it. It looks very similar to the VGA port. But I see it has a different pin out. A lot of newer motherboards still have that RS-232 port. By newer, I mean made in the last two or three years.

Seems like years ago some game controllers (joy sticks and such) used that RS-232 port. Am I correct in that?

Last edited:

NiHaoMike

dBa Member
RS232 ports are still used a lot for embedded development since it's a very simple to implement interface that works well for debugging even small embedded systems. PCIe RS232 cards are quite cheap and the ports always come up in a predictable order unlike USB to RS232 adapters.

Ben333

Folding for Team 32!
Figure out what model the touch screen is. Then google "(XX) touchscreen usb to rs232" and see if you can find an answer on if someone's done it. Either way, you'll get it working with enough patience.

I have an ELO touchscreen that also uses the serial interface. Last time I wanted drivers they still had both Win 98 and XP drivers up on their site. There's also a slim chance your touch screen may have a USB port on the back. The square kind like you'd find on a printer.

knoober

Indeed one of those is a vga port and the other an old RS-232 port. What I notice is it does not have the old printer ports. It means that thing while old may not be too old. Im willing to guess as Trents suggests go over that thing and clean it up. Scan it for viri etc . . It may work well. Who knows depending on the chip etc inside you might even be able to put a few bucks in it and give it an upgrade. I mean I wouldnt spend a whole bunch of cash on it but for example you might find a cheap video card and stick in it. That in and of itself might be just enough to keep it going a few more years.

Say sometihng like::
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150565

Z

+1 to a cheap processor upgrade. Odds are that it's a P4 or something not much newer. I got a 3.2Ghz C2D for $10, and a if it needs a new HDD, the 80-320 GB IDE/SATA drives are major league cheap nowadays as well.

Depending on what the system inside actually is you could upgrade all the major components for $50-60 ( I don't know how that will convert to CAD, but I'm guessing it's still cheaper than a refurb, which is also a solid option)

If you can power it up and add some details I'm certain there are folks around here that can help make sure you get compatible upgrades.

saturn

Disabled
I would fix the system, a good tune up could go a long ways, but I would go with a low powered system with no need for fans or at least fan filters if you buy a new one.
I always use hp's at work, they aren't anything grate but they get the job done.

Before you spend anything on the system take a photo of the motherboard and post it. If it has bad caps don't even bother with it.

Last edited:

Zuzzz

Premium Member
Good point. Let's have a peek under the hood. :) We can offer more informed options if we knew what is inside the unit.

Z

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
Like this one? http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883256365&ignorebbr=1

"buy a cloning dock and just keep the second disk up to date." You mean something like RAID 1?

Edit: So, I get the comp I linked, an HDD dock with an extra 80GB HDD. I set those up in RAID 1 and install Win7 with the new key? Then we reinstall the software on the new hard drive

yup, just like that, they sell external cloning docs, you just plug in two hdd's and push a button and it makes a direct replacement.
you can get them for $20 or so.

trents

jorockstar,

What is the make and model of the restaurant computer in question? Can you be more specific about the problems your mom is having with it?

OP
J

jorockstar84

No, not RAID. Something like this: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...drive_cloning_dock-_-9SIAA063NM1013-_-Product

Actually, have you done any trouble shooting on the existing PC to see why it isn't functioning properly? It may be something simple.

For starters it looks like someone needs to take a compressor to its insides and give it a good cleaning.

By the way, the port you mention as unknown is a reversed gender VGA port. A monitor cable with a female plug (atypical but they do exist) would use that port for the display.

Does it need a good scanning and cleaning for malware?

Does it have damaged system Windows system files that could be fixed with a command prompt string like "sfc /scannow" (without quotes and run with administrator privileges)?

Does it have a hard drive that's failing? Check with CrystalDiskInfo, a free program.

What is your level of tech savy?

From what she told me, the tech she took the computer to when it first failed said that it was a motherboard issue and that he had temporarily fixed it, but when it will occur again, we would have to buy new parts.

I don't know if the computer was wiped before they bought it, but they aren't doing anything on it except using it for the cash register.

I've built 3 computer as of now, updated mine once afterwards and actually came here the first time for help ^_^

PS: thanks for the link

OP
J

jorockstar84

Alright, in answer on everything that has been said: It's been awhile since i've been there. Next time I do, I will snap a picture from the components inside, BUT the computer doesn't like the be moved. Last time we did that, it didn't boot afterwards. I pushed a bit on every connector i could find inside and then it booted.

I will also bring a can of air to clean up a bit.

Right now it's a rush time so I won't get any answers now, but once I do I will update you.

trents

If it's a motherboard issue then it would be best to purchase a nice refurb from NewEgg. They are cheap and generally reliable. I have purchased a number of them for a private school in my town and they have not given any problem. You can generally get one for $100-$125. They're a few years old but would certainly be adequate for the application. If a clone of the hard drive didn't work or isn't feasible then you would need to manually reinstall the cash register software or any other special purpose software mom uses. Cloning the drive may or may not work. It would likely work if the chipset of the two computers was the same or very similar.