• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

computer freezes a lot when playing games.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OpenGL

Ok before i start here is my system specs , this might be a little difficult for me to explain but i have no idea what causing this.

AMD Athlon 2400 0302 stepping
vantec tornado + slk800
Asus a7n8x rev 1.4
Corsair xms PC2700C2
Radeon 9700 pro with zalman heat pipe with two fans.
Antec SL350

ok here is my problem , i used to be able to overclock my computer to 166X13.5 and it wouldn't freeze but lately for about 3 months if i play a game for 3 minutes with overclocked settings the computer freezes, upping the voltage to 1.85 didnt help. I have formatted and it does the same. I really don't know if its the motherboard , memory or videocard or cpu. I have a temp monitor on my videocard and whenever it reaches a certain temp it freezes up. The temps on the cpu is around 40-46 but when the vantec tornado is turned up i get a lower maybe 35-39. Im going to buy a new motherboard ABIT NF7-s since I hate the a7n8x because of bios problems. what can be causing this ?
It never did this before, I used to be able to play for hours with 166x13.5 @ 1.8V. Ive even tried upping the voltage for the memory and it still doesnt help. thanks for looking

AntiHeiss

As strange as this sounds, sometimes these things just happen. Your problem is caused by something and obviously something has changed. Sometimes its very small or minor and you may never figure out exactly what happened. I have a computer right here that used to be able to hit 2.2GHz, but now it can barely reach 2GHz. If I spent enough time on it I could probably figure the problem out, but it doesn't matter that much to me.
My best advice to you would be to turn your overclock down, check all your specs and see if even the smallest thing is wrong. For example, did you change even one voltage, install new hardware, or even start playing a new game that taxes your system more. If overclocking, I would recommend running Prime or another program to test your overclock. It may have never been completely stable in the first place.
Hope it works out.

OP
O

OpenGL

Hi, ok even with the stock 2400 settings it manages to freeze if i play a game for a while but not as bad as overclocked settings. The only thing i remember installing was a PCI ATI TV wonder card. Im probably going to buy a new cpu and motherboard and new memory but im just hoping its not my videocard. Also if i run memtest , should i run it with overclocked settings 166fsb ? also any suggestions on what cpu and memory to buy ?

Jimbob7

hmm the only way really to find out what is causing it is trying other hardware one thing at a time eg, use a different graphics card and see if anything happens :)
good luck

OP
O

OpenGL

[BBE]Jimbob said:
hmm the only way really to find out what is causing it is trying other hardware one thing at a time eg, use a different graphics card and see if anything happens :)
good luck

damn i wish i had a extra videocard to test. i will probably buy a cheap one just for testing.

AntiHeiss

Many times TV cards don't handle high FSB values. That might be your problem. Take your TV card out, then try your overclock again. I'd put my money that it might act a little more stable.

Zuzzz

Premium Member
Yes , remove the TV Wonder card. That card is known to be VERY unfriendly in overclocked PC's. It is also known the driver software for that TV Wonder card is flakey and glitchy. I have a TV Wonder Card and its jsut a buggy POS. It took several attempts to get the drivers to load properly as well as the GemStar Guide program is a mess as well. I suggest you remove that card and test your overclock again

Z

9mmCensor

Disabled
I had a problem like that a while ago. I narrowed it down to heat issues (confirmed when I took the HS off and it was covered in dust and the the thermal pad was crap).

Run prime 95 to stress test the rig and watch the temps, if they are high, it may be a heat problem.

OP
O

OpenGL

Ok , removed the tv card and played a game with overclocked settings , it did not freeze. I just hope it stays this way , but thats a good sign since normally it would freeze. my system also feels more powerfull and smoother, the response time has gotten better. ill get back to you if it freezes. thanks

will run prime95 soon.

Last edited:
OP
O

OpenGL

Just ran Prime95 and ran it through torture test and the first test the computer froze. This did not happen before , what does this mean ? CPU has weaken ? will buying a new cpu better for overclocking fix this problem ? or is it the memory ... thanks

Gremlin255

OpenGL said:
Just ran Prime95 and ran it through torture test and the first test the computer froze. This did not happen before , what does this mean ? CPU has weaken ? will buying a new cpu better for overclocking fix this problem ? or is it the memory ... thanks

Try running prime95 with stock cpu and loose latency timings on the ram. Also check your temps. when cpu stressed.
when you find a stable point then try overclocking the cpu.

Gremlin255

Also I suggest run memtest86 to make sure your ram is good.
Freezing while running prime95 usually means the ram has a problem and or the mainboard.

OP
O

OpenGL

I just ran memtest and the thing froze @ test 5. It had no errors though. Also when i ran prime95 and went to stop the test , i heard the harddrive and it froze right there too. if only i could find out what the problem is so i can replace it. Im replacing the mb regardless though.

here is a picture i took. It just froze right there.

040104-errorfreeze.jpg

Last edited:

Gremlin255

try running memtest at stock speeds, and see if it still freezes.
Are you using the newest bios rev. for the mainboard?
I wouldn't rush into getting a new mainboard until 100% sure thats the problem. See if the system is ok at stock settings then slowly overclock it. It might be that the system has worn down from overclocking and become unstable. If you can swap parts to eliminate which part is faulty.

Last edited: