• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer freezing for no reason (friends PC)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jgv115

My friend recently got a PC and here are his specs:

Core i7 920
Asus P6T-SE
GTS250
Corsair 3X2gb 1600mhz

He is experiencing random freezes on Windows. So I told him to run P95 smallFFT. He ran it for a while with no problem. But sometimes it just randomly freezes. I told him to run memtest and there was no error. I also raised the DRAM voltage and it still froze.

So I told him to reinstall windows.

So he goes and does that and in the middle of the installation it freezes.

The problem is the freezing is random. Sometimes it takes 6 minutes for it to freeze, sometimes it takes 41 minutes but it will freeze eventually.

Can anyone help us?

RJARRRPCGP

My friend recently got a PC and here are his specs:

The problem is the freezing is random. Sometimes it takes 6 minutes for it to freeze, sometimes it takes 41 minutes but it will freeze eventually.

Sounds like when I got my first Athlon build and a BIOS bug caused the Vcore to be set wrong, too high for stock.
-> Apparently, it's fine to increase the Vcore when OC'ing, but overvolting the processor at stock speeds causes lock ups.

But, with that build, could not recall any crash when installing Windows, IIRC, it was always when sitting at the desktop,
after the Windows installation was completed.

It's possible for a loose HDD power connection to cause freezes.

Last edited: