• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

computer gets shut down by a network error

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
My daughter's computer shuts down hard whenever it gets a network error durring a ping on the LAN.

Example: I booted into Knoppix with my main rig for awile and when I got back into w2k, I'd found her's blackscreened and non responsive to anything other than the reset button. This shows up in the system event viewer log as a network failure (either Browser or NetBT)

Neither of the other two computers on my lan have a problem with these errors and keep running.

All three run 24/7 on w2k and are networked through my D-Link router/4 port switch. The problem box is a microform ShuttleX SK41G I built for her a couple of weeks ago. Other than this occasional event, it works flawlessly.

What can I do to fix this annoying behavior?

TIA,

Last edited:

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
I highly doubt it's a network error that's causing the freeze.

Network "Informational" Errors that are logged, like the one below, are very common, and are not really errors more than network insight.
Event Type: Information
Event Source: BROWSER
Event Category: None
Event ID: 8033
Date: 5/11/2003
Time: 1:57:35 PM
User: N/A
Computer: COMPUTER1
Description:
The browser has forced an election on network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{53E13810-545E-4E4D-BCBD-64DDC2A30558} because a master browser was stopped.

It simply means that a NetBIOS Master Election was called, it's a normal occurance in almost any network.

You might look into power saving features, either in BIOS or windows that may be unsuccessfully hibernating or stand-by-ing the computer when not in use.

OP
Audioaficionado

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
I have the hibernate turned off in the w2k power options properties and the bios won't let you turn off ACPI so I chose the least intrusive S1 POS rather than the S3 STR.

My main rig also has the same ACPI BIOS setting limitations but never gets shut down like the shuttle does.

Interestingly the monitor power saving feature works on the Shuttle but not on my Abit NF7-S main rig. Could this be a result of high overclocking vs mild overclocking?

OP
Audioaficionado

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
The ShuttleX SK41G has good cooling and is only O/Ced @140fsb. The default is 133.

My Abit NF7-S is 200/2000 and doesn't have this problem.

glock19owner

You running a NIC or OB LAN?

Either or...try using the other and see if it still does it...it might be a bad NIC or OB LAN if the other works right...

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
Does it happen regularly, ie: every night, sometime during the night? Or does it happen sparatically?

Detho9000

Registered
Do you have the Wake On Lan cable connected from the NIC to the mobo? If you do, disconnect it. If it still happens, replace the NIC. Also, if the NIC support PXE booting, disable that as well.

While you're at it, replace the cable and try a different port on the switch.

-D9K

OP
Audioaficionado

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
It's an on board NIC chip and all wake and ring functions have been disabled in the bios. It only happens randomly and more than 24 hrs apart.

When it does shut down, a reset reboot doesn't seem to show anything other than the normal post screen info. If I wasn't folding on the rig, I'd just shrug my shoulders and let it go.

The FAH is run as a service and so far hasn't lost any WU after the shut downs.

It only has two expansion slots, 1x AGP & 1x PCI, so unless the NIC comletely dies, I don't want to use the slot in case my daughter wants to add a video capture card and a better graphics card in the future.

Another error I saw was the ZoneAlarnPro firewall's truevector.engine service when it gets pinged or pings another LAN box. I've set up ZA on the shuttle to specificly trust the other two boxes on the LAN in order to stop that error. Didn't need to do this on the other two boxes. All three have ZApro on them.

It's been a few days since it's happened. If it happens again, I'll revieve this thread and post any more info I have.

Thanx guys

glock19owner

I personally hate ZA...too buggy and to easy to bypass...ZA might be the trouble...when/if it happens again...try uninstalling it and see if that helps...

OP
Audioaficionado

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
It's been fairly trouble free for me over the few years I've used it.

I shun Norton products as they're not only agressively grabby with system resources but Norton and M$ are bed partners.

If I switch, Outpost looks good to me.

Any others I should check out?

glock19owner

I personally like Tiny Personal Firewall 2..not 3...2 will catch the kernal trying to connecto to M$ or whoever is trying to connect to it...its the only software firewall I know of that will catch it...ZA won't and black ice...well that has to be the weakest firewall I know of...

If you can not find TPF2 PM me with your email and I will send it too you...TPF 2 is free...TPF 3 isn't...

BTW its only a 1.35MB program...