• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer habits you are ashamed of

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Re: Re: Re: Computer habits you are ashamed of

Maxvla said:
shame shame.
nono.gif

shortcut to folding@home should be in everyone's computers' startup folder.
I run Folding while I sleep and since I have Gromacs enabled I'll get frame errors if I leave it running while playing games.

My computer "guilt" (oh, where to begin...)

1. Pretending I don't have computer skills around new people until I know that they won't ask me to fix their machine.
2. Thinking that folding is more important than my quality of sleep. (I'm working on this. I need to passively cool my noisy Geforce 4 soon)
3. Spending more time on the computer than doing anything else
4. Thinking every piece of spare hardware I have in my posession is going to be useful somehow (I'm right about this 50% of the time but oftehn the other 50% is just wasting space).
5. Not needing the "latest greatest". My MOM is pickier about hardware than I'll ever be. I enjoy fiddling with any working machine.
6. Being a cheap skate about software. I haven't PAID for a new software title in 4 years. I either get a reject copy from my brother or buy a used one. A number of older software titles are actually more stable and less buggy (because patches are available)
7. Obsessing over the color of my parts (IT MUST BE BLACK somewhere, or chrome, silver, gray, anything other than beige).
8. Convincing my friends that they need a better looking case because "it will improve resale value" :rolleyes:
9. Wanting to personally fish-slap every hacker on the planet. (because they deserve it)
10. Customizing every last pixel of my windows interface. Changing icons, manually chaging colors with regedit, and making matching skins for certain programs. I'm silly that way...
11. Being obssesive compulsive about my hard drive contents and the surface of my desk. My computer desk is more organized than any other living space I have.
12. Not liking Linux because it "requires more attention than a toddler"

I don't back up. I have nothing of importance anyway.
I don't have a firewall at the moment since my router died, and I might build one out of an old comp or something (gotta figure out how...a link to a firewall linux distro or whatever and a guide on setting it up would be great...*hint hint*).
I don't virus scan often, or at all.
I know less about computers than I'd like to beleive.
My room is a mess.
I lied about the overclock on my cpu.
My most recent non-demo game is Half-Life.

Rabid Snail said:
I don't back up. I have nothing of importance anyway.
Me Either. The only stuff I do backup is 3D stuff I've probably uploaded anyways.

If you want a temporary software firewall download the free version of Zonealarm

FreeBSD might be easier to setup if you want a simple firewall. There's a firewall version that fits on a floppy.

I was addicted to Everquest for 2 years :(

/cry

And combine a 3rd shift job(sitting in front of comp for 8 hours) sleeping all day, and sitting in front of comp when awake = really out of shape :(

Rabid Snail - Mandrake has a version of their Linux called Single Network Firewall http://www.mandrakesoft.com/products/snf. Never tried it, but Mandrake 9.0 is pretty nice as an OS.

RoadWarrior said:
Another thing, I'm ashamed to still rely on MS software when I think linux is such a good thing.

Same here. If only games were written for linux and people didn't just assume you have M$ Word and such (every time someone sends me a file, its .doc. God fordid I send them a lotus word pro or AbiWord file) :)

Titan386 said:
Same here. If only games were written for linux and people didn't just assume you have M$ Word and such (every time someone sends me a file, its .doc. God fordid I send them a lotus word pro or AbiWord file) :)
It's starting to confuse me as to why nobody resorts to .HTML
Anyone on anything can open them.

I waste way too much money on hardware.
Including the box in my sig, i've got the following at home

1600XP@1800XP with a Gainward Ti500 Golden Sample with 512 of XMS2700 on a EpoX 8k3a+ with two 60gig 60GXP's on raid0 in a shiny red Enermax Alum case

a slot a tbird 900mhz @ 1gig (that needs a new case) with 512 of Muskin HSDRAM and a heavily modified Geforce2Ultra on an ASUS mobo (forgot the model)

a bulletproof slot a 700mhz classic on a tyan trinity mobo (which is being RMAed) with 1gig of Crucial cas2 ram with a gainward ti200 and some old WD harddrive

my first o/ced system, a 233 in parts around the house

and a whole bunch of spare parts. i'm sure SpaceRangerJoe and RangerJoe can back me up on this.

Captain Slug said:
1. Pretending I don't have computer skills around new people until I know that they won't ask me to fix their machine.
haha. nothing wrong with that. lord, i hate being my dorms unoffical inhouse tech.

UPDATE: since i posted this, i just bought two ASUS K7V-T mobos for my slot a boxes. i suck :cry: ...and a new case, floppy, and DVD-Rom for my 900Tbird. this thead just cost me like 275 bucks :cry:

Last edited:
I am ashamed that after about 6 months my keyboard still has the coke i spilt in it from about that time. The keys that dont work. I use the assesbility option on-screen keyboard to do those keys. and a keyboard is what? 9.99?

sometimes it gets me really annoyed about the fact that i need to do my college work on the computer because i ALWAYS get distracted by either thinking hmm ill just play this game for a minute or hmm ill just browse the net for a minute wich turns out to be the whole day gona and wasted and i end up slipping behind on what i should b doing

I think the worst thing I did was remaster peoples report cards with Adobe Photoshop...and sell them for 20 dollars a peice. Then ran out of ink. haha That was 2 years ago..I still dont have any ink. Spending too much time on the somputer. Hating homework becuase its ****ing retarded. Hating spanish becuase I have ADD and its impossible to learn. and other random things...after reading all of those posts, I cant see what im typing because the screen looks like a blur.

KLowD9x

Don't swear

Thelemac

Last edited by a moderator:
I highlight things while reading them. This really ****es off my friends.
Whenever I read something that I am really interested in doing/ getting I bite my nails! Ack!
I can't get my xp 1600 PC working. I have built 2 computers and both don't work. All new parts except refurbed mobo's... maybe that's my problem?

subconcept said:
When im not supposed tyo be on, oh yeah I have a big math unit test tomorrow :eek: and eating chips while im on the comp. ive tried to stop but then i have to be away from the comp while I eat, thats wasted time hehe. Letting pop cans accululate around my desk. I Spy with my little eye 9 empty coke cans on my desk atm.

me too i have around 20 red bull cans i usually dont keep them but its whenever i have a cert to braindump for i slam them down and they sit in rememberence of the test that just got braindumped :) :)

wuzzapiman said:
I can't ever seem to do my homework when my computer's on. (24/7)

Me niether. Also ill say too myself "Well, ill check my mail and maybe some browseing." Then the whole day will pass and i will get nothing done. and the whole day surfing. Ill have nothing to show for it =p:cool:

Back