• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer is running SLOWWWW!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ManOfKnight

Back in Iowa :( Come on Gators, Get up and Go!
I just upgraded my mother's computer from a PIII 600 to an AMD 1600+. I did not do a reinstall of Win 2k...I just loaded all the proper drivers

This computer is SLOOOOWWWW...it was fine when I used it. Of course I have XP...but this shouldn't matter as the basis for the OS's are the same. Should I reinstall Windows? Would this improve performance?

Yes, it is NEVER a good idea to reuse an Operating System on a computer so different. Reformat and reinstall windows 2000, and you will probably find that the system runs much better.

However, if your mothers 600 PIII had an old slow hard drive, then her new computer will seem slow regardless of cpu speed.

funnyperson1 said:

However, if your mothers 600 PIII had an old slow hard drive, then her new computer will seem slow regardless of cpu speed.
Especially if you dont have alot of RAM Windows XP loves to use its swap file. That makes the PC feel even slower.

5400rpm drive versus 7200rpm drive you will feel the difference everytime.

^^^ Definitely!

Other than getting a faster HDD, I guess your best bet to improve performance, is to format C, and do a fresh install of Windows 2k. You'd also prolly want to run disk cleanup and defrag any other partitions you may have on that hard drive. Also uninstall stuff that you know she won't use.

When doing such an upgrade. It's always a good idea to do a fresh install. So everything is nice and clean and in tip top shape.

Re-installing windows every 6months would be a nice way to go really since the registry gets real cluttered.

My 2.5 cents, always giving more

yeah reformat and reinstall every 6months is idealistic but if you get a good defrag program like disk keeper and a nice proggie like ACE utitilites u shouldnt need to do that as much as you would expect.

DayUSeX said:
yeah reformat and reinstall every 6months is idealistic but if you get a good defrag program like disk keeper and a nice proggie like ACE utitilites u shouldnt need to do that as much as you would expect.

I'd call it a necessary evil before "idealistic" hehe. In any case, a well-maintained PC should not need constant defragging and certainly no utility package running all sorts of odd jobs.

I have found it depends on the PC's use and the care of the user, people who install tons and tons of useless little programs and other clutter are going to end up with a much more messed up pc than those who resist, I can practically go forever clean and smooth, whereas my friends pc's are all dying in a matter of months from clutter and errors.......hard drive speed plays a huge role too.

OK....here's the situation

I couldn't wait any longer...I decided just to RELOAD windows...erasing the other windows installation but keeping all her files intact

Her 30GB HDD is ATA133 Maxtor...it isn't THAT terribly old. It is now running fairly fast...not quite as fast as when I had it on my XP machine...but it is working out well

Thanks for everyone's replies

Back