• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer locks with screeching sound in speakers.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mvpdrone

Registered
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHz
Power Supply: Corsair 800W Psu (just purchased to replace my 500W)
GPU: EVGA GTX 650 Ti 2GB (just purchased this week)
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H (had it for about 3 years running fine)
RAM: Patriot G Series DDR2-800 4GB (had for about 3 years running fine)
Hard Drive: 1TB WD Green HDD (purchased this week)

Basically, when using my computer it will randomly lock up and start making a very loud buzzing/screech noise in my speakers until I hard reset with the power button. Sometimes this can take 5 minutes other times it'll take 4 hours to happen.

Doesn't matter if I'm in a game or at my desktop, i'm at a loss of what it could be, all my new components ran fine for about a week before it started happening, I even returned the new videocard I bought to Best Buy and got a replacement because I thought it was defective but to no avail I still get this issue.

nothing is OC'd, the videocard came factory OC'd but I don't think could cause an issue.

The only thing I haven't replaced is the processor, RAM and the motherboard.

Just wanted to make sure the CPU isn't, I've seen unstable OC's cause that before.

Can you run Prime95 on Blend for 30 minutes?

I actually did run Prime95 blend test earlier for 10 passes and it didn't freeze my PC the only thing I noticed was the CPU running at 75 celcius but other than that it was completely stable. Which is very odd to me because it will still just randomly freeze while web browsing or just anything in general.

edit :actually earlier, right after I ran prime95 it froze 20 minutes later when I launched Starcraft 2.

That's a bit warm for that processor, have you cleaned out the heatsink lately?

i did spray some compressed air on the cpu fan earlier to get the small amount of dust out of it, it's just the AMD stock cooler that came with it did not touch the heatsink though.

What fan setup do you have? Do you monitor your temperatures normally?

My PC only has 1 fan in the case (it's a very old cheap case.) besides the videocard fan and the cpu fan but when I'm gaming I monitored my temps and everything was relatively cool, the graphics card stays around 50-68c, and the processor is usually around 55-67c in games, hard drive is usually around 30-40c.

Idling my CPU will be around 48-55 celcius

Go ahead and invest in a decent case with a good fan setup, it'll help those temps a lot. You typically don't want to break 60C with that processor.

Try running with the side of the case off, and a house fan blowing into the side for a while and let us know if it helps.

I'll try it tomorrow and post back, I'm actually going to have a friend that actually knows what hes doing to take a look at it tomorrow just to make sure I'm not missing anything obvious.

It's always ran at these temps fine, so it's odd that after 3 years it would just start doing this freezing thing.

It was probably damaged by those temperatures for that long. The "official" maximum temperature is 62C on the core, running over that isn't good.

Here's a little more info (Sort of.)

Initially the PC wouldn't boot it would just sit at a black screen, thats why I bought the new hard drive cause I thought it was that, turns out it wasn't. It was actually a dead graphics card so I bought the new card, ran fine for a week and started freezing.

Thought it was my weak power supply so I bought the new one, went to best buy and replaced the videocard I thought was defective, come home install everything and it started freezing again within 3 hours.

Spent like $450 just trying to get my PC running again so when it starts doing this it's really kinda just making me feel horrible.

That just leaves CPU, mobo, and RAM to test.

Does your friend have an AM3 CPU and mobo? And/or a set of DDR3 RAM?

I don't believe so, but I think he might be able to figure out whats causing it for me (I'm hoping) because I myself don't feel confident messing with the insides of my PC because I'm dumb and blindly throwing money at this computer is kind of becoming an issue lol.

Could my old PSU have damaged my motherboard or something? I'm thinking the PSU is probably what killed the other graphics card I had (the Radeon 6850).

It was an Apex 500w power supply which isn't a very reputable psu at all.

Its possible. Definitely swap any parts you can with his as car as CPU/mobo/RAM to test it and see what works.

Will do.

Thanks alot for keeping up with the replies, I'm really really really thankful because I am clueless when it comes to the hardware side of computers.

Very appreciated.

My pc takes DDR2 RAM, so maybe someone has some spare sticks I can try.

Back