• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

computer not booting up correctly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Warren G

My comps been acting up lately. Whenever I tried to turn it on, nothin happens. Sometimes, the computer turns on, but all i get is a black screen. other times, i turn it on, it'll boot all the way to W2k, but will freeze at the loading screen. I have tried resetting the bios and reseated all the cards, memory, even cpu and hsf and still no go. Can anyone help me out? I was thinking it mite be power supply, but i have a 300w. heres the spec

p3 1ghz w/ SA6R mobo
2x 128 CAS2 Crucial pc133 ram
8.5Gb Maxtor
32x Burner
32x Cdrom
1.44 Floppy
56k Modem
GF3Ti300 Vid Card.

everythings stock too.

OP
Warren G

Warren G

koo thnx for the quik replies. anyways, when (if it booted up correctly) i go to the bios configuration, in the pc health screen, the cpu would run around 40-50C. So I dont think its the cpu overheating and the 5v rail would stay at 5 (-/+ .05). But still Im thinking its the psu. Also, when I took the HSF off, the cpu die looked somewhat scratched on the edge. Could that be a problem too?

JimmyG

The scratch on the edge of the die could be a problem, but it might not. Try booting up with just cpu, ram, video card, and hard drive. If it's the same, then you know it is one of the four. Also, don't forget about software. The OS could have a corrupted file. Try booting from the windows installation disk and reinstall the OS.