• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer not starting after water-leak

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hemo

Hi,

After a failed attempt on building a water-cooling system I finally managed to get it working. With failed I mean that it leaked very much, hoses got loose and so on. And now, after some drying, when I am trying to start my computer it is not going so well.

When powering on the computer the LEDs are lit up everywhere. But when trying to start the computer it is not going so well. Nothing happens on the screen. The pumps for the water cooling starts and SOME of the fans are starting to rotate. Sometimes when starting they rotate on full speed (I guess) and sometimes very slow, and sometimes not at all. On some fans (I have 7 in total) they do not rotate and when I am giving it a push they rotate at a VERY slow speed.

As I said I had a huge water leak in the system. So I am 99% sure it is because of that. The system was not turned on when the leak happened.

What I have done trying to get it stated:
-Done the RAM thing, change order, one slot only and change that slot.
-I have connected to another PSU. Problem is that PSU is kinda broken as well, so I can only connect the motherboard. When connecting CPU, SATA or the pumps the PSU won't start. The fans are working the same way with this PSU.
-I have tried to use the integrated graphics on the motherboard and still no results. (also disconnected the GPUs)
-After a couple of attempts I poured 98% ethanol to get eventually still stucked water to dissappear faster.

I have NOT:
-Removed everything and dissasemblied the whole system.
-Tested with other RAM (since I do not have any)
-Tested with another motherboard (since I do not have any)

I will:
-Test the PSU on another computer (the old one where the other PSU was not working) to see if that computer starts.

My question:
Is the motherboard bad? (Or well, at LEAST the motherboard, maybe everything....)
If the motherboard is bad, will it help to clean it and remove all dye and so on or is it just to trash it?

Best regards

Is the motherboard bad? (Or well, at LEAST the motherboard, maybe everything....)
If the motherboard is bad, will it help to clean it and remove all dye and so on or is it just to trash it?
Maybe the mobo is bad. Certainly it would help to clean ALL parts that got wet and try again.

Sorry that happened man.. :(

I have had a few of these things happen, I take everything apart and set them in the sun for 2 or three days to dry.
it can take a lot longer than you think to dry out the socket and slots.

I once recovered several computers from a house fire. I took everything apart and ran the individual parts through the dishwasher to remove smoke damage. To dry the PCI slots on the mainboard, I took some paper towel over a credit card and pushed it in and pulled it out. I got a lot of water out that way. Once dried, I think that everything worked. It was over 10 years ago that this happened. A hair dryer can help too if you're patient enough.

Yep mixing water and electronics is just a bad idea. I used to fool around with water cooling, but never really felt comfortable with it. So I've been cooling with nice dry air for the past six years so I can sleep at night! :thup:

Back