• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer restarts on its own.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
AzzKickerG1 (Apr 17, 2001 07:45 p.m.):
Do you guys not read when I say my temps are 38-40ºC. Its not a heat problem. It has to do with Electricity. It hasnt happend so far, i put back Win2K. but I doubt it was the OS.

So you ask a question and complain about the answers given! If you already know the solution to your problem, why are you wasting our time?

My setup resets around 35 C and I have 550watts, all voltages are in spec. If I lower the temp, the resets go away.

See AZZ some people get reboots at lower temps than you got-it is HEAT just because you are at 38-40C doent mean that its not TOO hot-every comp is different! PLUS your temp appz could be off-Try using a CPUidle or Rain or something and see if that helps-should drop idle temps-or just blow a fan on the cpu-fixed my reboot problem!!

LikuidFusion (Apr 17, 2001 11:31 p.m.):
See AZZ some people get reboots at lower temps than you got-it is HEAT just because you are at 38-40C doent mean that its not TOO hot-every comp is different! PLUS your temp appz could be off-Try using a CPUidle or Rain or something and see if that helps-should drop idle temps-or just blow a fan on the cpu-fixed my reboot problem!!

do programs like CPUidel and Rain take up a lot of resources?

I installed Win2K last night and so far I havent had a reboot. I reall thought and still do think, something with my network is not correct because when I had my computer on Internet Sharing, evertime the other computer in our house would log on, mine(host) would restarts. This could be why it usually happens when playing a LAN game on Unreal Tourny.

I will try that CPUidle program to see what happens.

And I'm not complaining about the answers given, and I'm ont wasting anyones time. You dont have to post if you dont want. I'm just simply saying that I dont feel its heat related because I've run the same computer before without any heat problems. Ever since I did a format and put back Win98, its been doing this. Who knokws, maybe Win2K will fix it. I'll let you know how it goes.

I would bet it is power problem, not enough power to the system. You may want to get a 350 watt Enermax or even a 430 watt Enermax. I have the 430 watt and it works so well and quiet, even with the two fans. That's just two cents. Good luck and hope you'll find out the real cause of the problem.

Happy computing!

I had that problem with my USB and NIC sharing IRQ's. and heavy NIC use and using my USB mouse would cause a reboot. I changed out slots on the NIC and made sure it wasn't sharing IRQ'S and problem has gone away. Just a thought.

Dude,

Its a Power Suply prob..................................................... trust me... hook 'em up together in series

SharkyTM

SharkyTM (Apr 18, 2001 05:06 p.m.):
Dude,

Its a Power Suply prob..................................................... trust me... hook 'em up together in series

SharkyTM

I think you mean parallel. My 550w combined doesn't help. So battling heat with the watercooled setup is what's working for me.

Back