• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer Silencing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Celeron_Phreak

I was just wondering if anyone had some good ideas of how I could silence my computer (no, I don't mean killing it ;)). I've got a Swiftech MCX370 CPU cooler and currently, it's all you can hear. Good enough, some of you will say. Not really. The fan on it is just a little 60mm Papst on it, but it moves A LOT of air for it's size.

Currently, my temps are 38-39°C idle, and 43°C under load on my XP2600+. I want to keep my current temps, unless of coarse they get lower, that's always an improvement :).

Here's what I had in mind:

A duct that leads from the heatsink to the side of the case; stylish, but effective. Then mount a 90mm - 120mm fan.

I'm not totally sure if this would work, since I'm kinda paranoid about it possibly not putting enough air on the heatsink, and my temps going up drasticly. If you have any other ideas, let me know. I don't want any water cooling, so please don't metion it at all unless you arn't recomending it. Peltiers are also out of the question, too expensive.

~C.P.

well start with the right fans!!!

use vanteck stealths

im running my rig with 2x120mm stealths 1rear 1 front and a 80mm stealth on my sp94 (i couldnt find a 92mm stealth)
and i have to say i have no noise i mean when i tiep it sounds like my computer is off

( but i have to keep the side case on other wise its notaciable ( cant spell it)

*noticable ;)

Anyway, I have two 80s i the back, which are mounted vertically, and two 80s in the front which are mounted horizontally. I could put as skinny 120mm in the front, but I couldn't do it in the back, since there's no room.

Anymore ideas?

sell the case AND THE FANS AND GET A ANTECK SLK3700BQE AND SOME 120MM FANS
AND A 92MM FOR THE CPU HSF
caps lock junk sorry

whats with the pic??? is that u??

There's nothing wrong with the current case or fans. I can't hear the case fans at all, since they run slow enough, but still keep everything cool. It's just the CPU fan that'ts annoying me =\.

David I.

P.S. I don't have any cash to buy a new case + fans at the moment, since I'm buying a laptop soon and getting my driver's liscence......Oh, and getting a cell phone plan too. Hmm...Soo much needs done, so little time and money.

EDIT: No, that is not me in my avatar.

Last edited:
Well a cheap way to lower a bit of noise is to take you're current fans make sure they are well oiled and then wrap the corners with electrical tape. The tape will act as those rubber sound insulators do. Another idea to go to big and slow as in try to use as big a fans as possible and controlling them with a fan controller.

what really helped me was lining my case with industrial carpeting... really short haired carpet found in office buildings.. it was cheap at Home Depot and has a rubber backing.

Tebore, you reminded me that I had already wrapped my fan edges with E-tape. One reason why I can't hear my case fans at all. The only thing I can hear is the air moving through the CPU heatsink at such a high velocity.

~C.P.

Wrapped your fan blades with electrical tape? How do you mean, just a thin strip right down the EDGE of the blade? Doesnt that throw off the balance of the fans and make them louder??

Timmybighands said:
Wrapped your fan blades with electrical tape? How do you mean, just a thin strip right down the EDGE of the blade? Doesnt that throw off the balance of the fans and make them louder??

no no no...
You wrap where you mount the fan it acts as a way of isolating the fans from the case or heatsink. I use Cut up rubber bands it seems to work even better.

those must be some bigg rubber bands ( o ok the broccoli ones ya now i get ya)

no thanx not for me i have found a worm in evry one i eat ( so i dont eat it)

and um ya so i dont gett the rubber band if i dont get the broccoli so not for me lol.

but really it doesnt make that big of a diff on a HD yess but on a fan no i have one with rubber studs or w/e and one without both are the same

I just bought a 120mm therml control case fan from CompUSA (in compusa packaging) for $15. I noticed it doesn't put much air out, considering the box says it will do around 41 CFM at 80 degrees C, but isn't the thermal sensor disabled when I've got it directly connected to the PSU? I mean, it feels like it's doing more like 21 - 26 CFM.

There wouldn't happen to be any way of tricking the sensor that it's at 80 degrees, is there?

EDIT: (to avoid double posting) I did try putting my mini torch by the external sensor that I found on it and it does go up in speed. Is there any way to disable the fan sensor?

EDIT 2: I cut the thermistor off and jumpered the two wires, works great now. Now, is it possible to connect a fan controller to were the thermistor is so I can control the fan speed manually?

Last edited:
Measure the resistance of the temp sensor and see what it is. If it is say 7 or 8K then get a 10K pot from Radia Crap, I mean Radio Shack and put the center tap on one wire and one of the others on the other wire where the sensor was.

Just get what is the next up in size that is not to far off. Also get Linear, not logrithmic if you can. Better control is all.

Hope that helps.

:D :D :D

I've run into a problem, I'm not quite sure how to make the duct that will go from the side of the case to the CPU fan, since it needs to be larger on one end than the other. I can't seem to think of anything to use for the duct. =\

I used the plexiglass stuff I had leftover from making a window. Cut out 4 even sides taped them into a box. Cut a hole in the actual side window of the gase and put a fan there. Then taped the the duct to that fan.

Just make sure your duct is a little bigger then the cpu fan so that you can slide your side panel into place when you are putting it on the case and taking it off.

Celeron_Phreak said:
I've run into a problem, I'm not quite sure how to make the duct that will go from the side of the case to the CPU fan, since it needs to be larger on one end than the other. I can't seem to think of anything to use for the duct. =\

Dryer duct. Most are about 4"+ on one side. just have to improvise on the other

Back