• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer Slow After Gamingq

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ergnas

Registered
Computer Slow After Gaming

I have a problem, whenever I play a game that relies a lot on the Hard Drive such as Rise of Nations, or Sim City 4, I exit out, and for the next 10 minutes or so my computer is almost halted....it takes about 45 secs to load IE, a task that usually is finished in <1 sec. I think this is due to my hard drive, but could it be something else, and is there a way to correct it? Thanks.

Bensa

Seems like your RAM is getting full, or your games are loading into the paging file (which does not empty right away).

OP
E

Ergnas

Registered
Is there any way to stop them from loading into the paging file? Or make the paging file larger or whatever? What would you suggest?

Dc5e

you can't stop paging unless you have more than enough ram... so the only way is to increase teh page file size. Goto control panel->system->advanced tab->performance button -> advanced tab-> change button under virtual memory, then increase the values there.

Increasing the page file size may not help out alot, because once the game is exited, the ram should be freed up therefore it should begin unpaging...

DarkDraco

do what i do. install cacheman and have the "recover memory" on your desktop. after your done a game, clcik it and your ram will load up to 100% for like 5 seconds. then it will clear out everything as if you just restarted your computer.