• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer will not post

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jarlax

While at work on Friday the power went out in my house and unfortunatley my computer was on at the time. When I came back home and tried to boot it up it will not post. I have an ASUS P5B Deluxe board with an e6600 processor.

By not posting I mean that I can see the ASUS sign on the board lit up (so it has power) and when I push the power button the system fans spin and the light comes on for the DVD drive but then nothing else happens at all. I have tried popping out the battery to reset the BIOS, removed the sound card, and tried with individual memory sticks to see if any of them were the issue but there was no difference.

Since it boots and appears to check the DVD drive is it safe to assume that the CPU is the issue and I have fried it? before I spend another 200 to replace it I wanted to get a second opinion.

Thanks for any help you can offer. I am going to go take my machine apart to look at the CPU...

Edit: If I am going to replace the c2d e6600, can anyone tell me if a e8200 will work in the p5b deluxe board? It looks like it will and it is cheaper but if someone knows for sure I would appreciate it.

Last edited:

Griff65

Remove the power cord and battery, reset the cmos with the jumper, its worked in the past for me to leave it in this state for 24hrs also..

P5B Deluxe BIOS version 1221(1. Support new CPUs) Latest version is 1226 btw..

OP
Jarlax

Jarlax

Thanks for the information and idea Griff65, sadly there was no change, the system will still not boot to bios menu. Just turns on some system fans and sits there. The HDD's spin, the system fans spin, the PSU is on, but no power to USB devices (mouse/keyboard) and nothing posts to the monitor.

OP
Jarlax

Jarlax

I don't have another PCI-e card around to try. But if I took the card out and tried to power up I would think it would behave differently. I took the card out to try and it acted the exact same.

burningcpu

Mobo Cooking Member
Couldn't it still be the MB? I would disconnect everything that isn't needed to post, including all usb and other peripherial connections and try again. No hard drives or optical drives. Sorry can't be more help.

OP
Jarlax

Jarlax

Well I need to try either a new CPU or MB. Sounds like you guys think I should start with a new MB instead of CPU?

Griff65

Leave it sat idle for 24hrs minus the power cord and battery also remove the ram and reset cmos..

Try and get it to boot with just a single stick of ram in.. My P5E-VM HDMI came back to life this way for me..

Griff

OP
Jarlax

Jarlax

Well the power cord and the battery are out and the jumper is set to clear the CMOS. I will leave it until tomorrow night and see what happens.

In the mean time I will probably order an Abit IP35 Pro board as a replacement. It seems like a good board in a fair price and should it turn out to be the CPU I can add a e8200 for less than the e6600.

We will see what happens.

someone1029

I think its the board as well, I had a similar problem with my 680i. The only difference is that mine was like that from the word go. Have you got anyone with a compatible board to try your cpu in?

OP
Jarlax

Jarlax

No, I do not know of anyone near by that could try it out. The couple that could are not computer people and would freak if I said I was going to remove their CPU's - lol

I am hoping the new board I ordered will correct the issue. I will find out Wednesday or Thursday...depends on the egg shipping my parts out.

OP
Jarlax

Jarlax

Well it looks like it was not the MB. Got a new board in last night hooked it all up and I have the exact same results. The board lights up, the system fans and video card fan start spinning, the DVD drive self checks and then....nothing. it just sits there.

So I ordered a q6600 from fry's for 189 shipped and I will see if that resolves the issue. I have a hard time believeing the PC Power and Cooling 680 watt PS is the issue.

Last edited: