• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer Won't Boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Big Kev

Registered
My mate has just done his first heatsink installation and can't now boot up, he's getting continuous long beeps, about 3/4 seconds in duration.

He's got a Chaintech 7VJDA, Akasa AK-821 2Q Silent CPU Cooler and some Arctic Silver 5, together with his XP1800. The fan is working ok on the heatsink. He's also just bought a new XP1900 and is getting the same beeps.

He hadn't moved the graphics card, nor memory when these beeps started. I've got him to reseat the card and memory, trying all slots, but the beeping continues.

I've also got him to clear CMOS, but this has had no effect either.

I can't find any information on the Chaintech website, which seems pretty poor to me.

He was getting temps of 58, whilst the pc was idle, so it was my idea to upgrade the heatsink, could it be a dying cpu?

Any ideas out there please, as I'm doing all this over the dog and bone and he's starting to panic.

repo man11

Have you tried putting he old HSF back on?

Is the new HSF's fan plugged in to the same fan header on the motherboard as the old ones was? If the BIOS has a fan detection option, then it could refuse to boot if no fan is detected. When this has happened to me, I don't remember beeps though. It would just shut down almost immediately after powering up.

OP
B

Big Kev

Registered
He hadn't pushed the memory in properly, despite me telling him to do so a few times.

So it's sorted now mate, it's his first time tinkering with his pc and we all made mistakes like that at first, well I did anyway.

Cheers for the post though.