• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer Won't Connect?!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

irish80122

Okay, I am not quite sure what is going on here, so maybe you will be able to help me! My friend has a laptop which we are having a problem getting to connect to the Internet. It all began with him buying a 802.11g card and trying to connect to the library's wifi unsuccessfully. Then he came over to my house and tried to connect to our wifi network (I gave him the wep key and what not) and that didn't work. Then, we connected his computer via crossover cable to one of my computers on the network. I was able to exchange files with him, but he still couldn't connect to the internet, even though the computer he was connected to could! We went downstairs and I plugged him directly into the router, and still nothing. He left before I could try safemode with networking, which is my only other idea. I have played with settings and run the Windows Setup Wizard for networks to no avail. It can connect to the network, but there is just no internet. Could it be a virus? Help!

irish80122 said:
Okay, I am not quite sure what is going on here, so maybe you will be able to help me! My friend has a laptop which we are having a problem getting to connect to the Internet. It all began with him buying a 802.11g card and trying to connect to the library's wifi unsuccessfully. Then he came over to my house and tried to connect to our wifi network (I gave him the wep key and what not) and that didn't work. Then, we connected his computer via crossover cable to one of my computers on the network. I was able to exchange files with him, but he still couldn't connect to the internet, even though the computer he was connected to could! We went downstairs and I plugged him directly into the router, and still nothing. He left before I could try safemode with networking, which is my only other idea. I have played with settings and run the Windows Setup Wizard for networks to no avail. It can connect to the network, but there is just no internet. Could it be a virus? Help!

Have you checked in the settings that his web browser isn't trying to use a proxy?

can you clarify if he was able to see a share on the computer he was connected to? Also click start, run , cmd and enter ipconfig and check that the laptop is on the same IP network as the other machines. If it isn't then it will not be able to get to the internet. Make sure that in the TCP/IP properties of the Ethernet connection it is set to obtain an IP automatically.

What OS is on the laptop? If it is Win XP then ipconfig will work. If it is Win9x/ME, you need to use winipcfg.

My advise is to set the laptop to use DHCP. Then, if he has Win ME or above, use the networking wizard to connect up. It could be just that easy.

If you have win XP, run the wizard. At the end it will give you the chance to create a floppy disk. Create one then use it on the laptop.

If those don't work, post again, we can do all of this manually.

We need to know what OS? We need to know how the network is assymbled (E.G. network switch to a router to a DSL modem)? And that may be it.

Good luck.

don256us said:
What OS is on the laptop? If it is Win XP then ipconfig will work. If it is Win9x/ME, you need to use winipcfg.

My advise is to set the laptop to use DHCP. Then, if he has Win ME or above, use the networking wizard to connect up. It could be just that easy.

If you have win XP, run the wizard. At the end it will give you the chance to create a floppy disk. Create one then use it on the laptop.

If those don't work, post again, we can do all of this manually.

We need to know what OS? We need to know how the network is assymbled (E.G. network switch to a router to a DSL modem)? And that may be it.

Good luck.

The computer was able to share files with the other computer. I will check that for sure next time he comes over, I can't believe I forgot to check that while he was here! Thanks

irish80122 said:
The computer was able to share files with the other computer. I will check that for sure next time he comes over, I can't believe I forgot to check that while he was here! Thanks
Shareing files and printers is not the same as shareing the Internet connection.

To do ICS the 'host' machine must have an IP of 192.168.0.1. The rest of the machines must have 192.168.0.1 listed as the gateway.

Back