• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer won't display anymore

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iMusky

Registered
Hi OCF,

A friend of mine recently switched out his graphics card. He switched from a GeForce GTX760 to a RTX2060.

> MSI-H97M-G43
> Quadcore Intel Core I7-4790K 4.4GHz (not sure which custom cooler)
> GeForce GTX 760 (2GB)
> 16GB RAM 1600Mhz
> 3 TB HDD
> 250GB SSD
> Corsair CX 600M
It has worked for 2 days, but out of nowhere it stopped displaying. I asked to change back to the old GPU and that also didn't work anymore. I've asked
one more time to remove the GPU and put the HDMI cable into the motherboards HDMI port. Once again, no display. My conclusion is that the motherboard stopped working.

A few fans work, a few don't. All plugged into the motherboard. GPU fans do work, CPU cooler works.

Does anyone have a clue what can possible be wrong? I'd like to hear!

Greetings,

Muzky

It could be a failed/failing power supply or loose connections with the modular PSU. He would need a digital multimeter to determine if voltages are in spec.

:welcome:

I like JLK's response. Do that first. Reseat power cables both at the MB and the PSU.

Second, I would also remove anything not needed to boot the machine and see if it works. No HDD/SSD or other drives. Maybe 1 stick of RAM. No video card, just use the onboard. No USB other than keyboard and mouse.

Last edited:
Are you sure the display itself didn't die? You didn't mention testing it in another computer.

Do you see the disk activity LED blink like Windows is being loaded? If not, sounds like either a bad motherboard or a bad PSU. Do you have another system you can try the PSU in or another PSU you can temporarily swap in? A good first step is to take multi meter and check the voltage on the 12v rail. It should be withing + or - 5% of 12.0 to be within spec. But testing the voltage at idle is not the whole story. It could put 12v out at idle but not be able to carry a load.

Have you tried unplugging the power to the PC and monitor along with unplugging the HDMI cable from both then plugging everything back in and powering everything back up? I was having trouble getting display port working on my PC and that did the trick...

Back