• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Condensation from water cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MYSRH

I'm planning to install a watercooling system since I'm using Athlon XP2000 (overclocked) and the heatsink is very much noisy even when I use bigger fan. How much degrees maximum I can expect if I use watercooling on my system and overclock?

I'm wondering if there's any condensations from water cooling system that might occur?

When using water cooling, do I have to have a bucket full of water to pump the water to/from the pump?

I also think to attach one for the chipset, do you think it'll make much difference, attaching waterblock on chipset than attaching fan like Orb TT? Also will it lower the VCore temperature?

Also, do I have to clean the whole water cooling system once awhile?

Diggrr

Underwater Senior Member
Hey MYSRH, Welcome to the forums!

Condensation is only a problem when you cool the water well below room temperature. Unless you use a refrigerator, TEC cooler (also called a peltier), or some other active cooling method, then there is no chance that the processor will get that cold. Normal watercooling will, in the very best systems, yield 28-30C idle temps...not much different from the best aircooling systems, but it's much quieter, and has much more capacity for heat removal. A water system also keeps the load/idle temp difference closer together than air cooling can.

There are hundreds of ways to arrange a cooling system, some do include buckets. But you can easily build a system that is all contained inside the computer case. There are radiators, evaporative cooling towers (bongs), refrigerated, large reserviors like fishtanks, and burried geothermal tanks just to name a few.

Water cooling usually allows one to set a higher Vcore (core voltage), so a greater overclock is attainable while keeping reasonable temperatures. I use a watercooled chipset, but a better heatsink can do a good job on this too.

If your water system is totally enclosed without dust or air allowed inside, it can go several months between cleanings. Using good distilled water and other ingredients can make cleaning unnecessary for up to a year.

I'd suggest going back in this section of the forum, there's alot of combined info on puting a system together all at your fingertips. Look at the bottom of the page, see the string of numbers? This is page one...keep going back. There's also a wealth of info on the main page (overclockers.com) under the tips and techniques section.

Have a good time here, and again, welcome.

ocean

As Tecumseh says, the key is not letting your temp get to far below room temp. I'm running a watercooled 156w pelt on a 1.33 t-bird at about 1.6 ghz. It rarely dips below room temp. I don,t bother with insulation. I run [email protected] when I'm not using the machine.
Of course, the prudent thing to do would be to insulate it......