• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Condensation help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Big_Baller

Would having a low speed fan facing my water block help with any condensation removal? I have sealed my mobo and I am running pretty cold water so would a fan help remve some the condensation?

nikhsub1

Unoriginal Macho Moderator
NO. Condensation is factored by ambient temps, water temps and humidity, no fan will stop it, it MIGHT help to evaporate the condensation, but that is all it may do.

JoeCrappa

Well, if you're worried about waterblock condensation-prevention (insulation). I used insulation tape from the Home Depot. It is easy to cut, easy to work with and should be pretty cheap for a big roll. Haven't been here for a while so I forgot what thread or the article where the pics are. But basically it looks like a roll of thin foam tape. I put it on all sides except for the CPU side. However, I must warn you that if you're having condensation, you'll want to insulate your mobo with silicone and dielectric jelly.

What cooling method are you using that gives you condensation anyways?

OP
Big_Baller

Big_Baller

Hey thx joe. Ya I of course sealed the mobo with RTV and dielectric grease. but my neopreme just isnt looking very tight. I had to use seprate strips and they arnt totaly close together. I havnt even turned on my system yet and I will be running a refrigerated system with below ambient temps. Thats the cause for sealing.

JoeCrappa

Another tip, learn from my Ti 500 incident, insulate the back of your video card very well. My fridge mod went well, I hope yours does too. I haven't taken my waterblock off since the day I installed the fridge; over half a year ago! Good luck!

Jaime

sneakyfart

Home Depot sells insulation tape called "Armaflex" real easy to work with and 30' roll is about 5 bux. youve got to keep air from getting to that block, otherwise......ice WILL form and when the block warms up above freezing it WILL drip. wrap the lines, the block and put some of that foam tape on the backside of the mobo where the socket is too.

OP
Big_Baller

Big_Baller

So I should also take the fan I got and trun it around so it exausts instead of blowing on the water block. I alreadly have the backside pins covered in RTV do I still need to put amerflex over them? I will get some of the amaflex.

OP
Big_Baller

Big_Baller

WOOT da. This amera flex is SO easy to use. 5x easyer then using neoprene.... and it just so dang awsome! thx alot.

sneakyfart

when i said the back of the socket i actually meant to put it on the back of the mobo itself. sorry, i should have been more clear on that. on the back of the mobo beneath where the socket is, cover an area 6 inches or so square all around it. that should keep condensation from forming on the backside of the board.

OP
Big_Baller

Big_Baller

Well frankly because most everyone uses dielectric grease...and ya I had done the Back side of teh mobo with the silicon covering up the pins and as you said I did then put some (wonderfull) ameraflex about a 3 square inch around it just to make sure. I am now confident that my mobo is sealed. Thank you all for the replys. ( lol by the way. Stinky how did you ever get the freezer tray in your fridge to unsqrew? I didnt have an angle sqrew driver handy so I used wire cutters and a vice to get tge sqrews "off" :D :D ) ahahah