• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Configuration Suggestions please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xception

For Christmas wifey got;

1 64gb kingston ssd

1 300gb velociraptor

Question is do I run the o/s on the ssd or the velociraptor. I have the means to get another velociraptor so I could raid 2 of them and again what would be better raid 0 raptors or the ssd for the o\s.

She basically only plays WOW but plays it alot on the rig in my sig so she should see a slight difference. LOL...

OP
Xception

Xception

Well I got the SSDNow V Series hooked up and all i can say is WOW these suckers are fast!! I'm sure the V series Intel's are much faster but this lil guy is holding it's own.

I ran HDTach on it and came up with 127mb sequential read speed and at just over $150 for the 64gb I think it's OK. It's really unreal how fast things like the browser load. I'm impressed.

OP
Xception

Xception

I'll be the first to admit I am a little confused :shrug: and have been outta the game for probably 5+ years but I stop in from time to time and just try and briefly catch up. Things have changed abit since the rig in my sig albeit I notice CPU speeds havent gone up much.

It's a V series not a V plus... Least that is what it said on the box far as I remember. kinda old im losing it arrrggghhhh !! I will run ATTO on it and let you know how she matches up, soon as I can get the lil woman off of it.

After reading the aritcle you linked I guess we was both right. It is indeed a V+ SSD WOOT. Doesnt show the + on the box,
I just thought the Kingston at 150 for 64 was a heck of a lot better deal than some of the other Intel deals out there right now.

(Added on edit)I am gonna edit this thing to death) LOL The salesperson at ***'s told me it was up to 100mb read and 80 write and that is exactly what the sales slip states heck maybe I got a good deal for $149.99.

(ADDED in edit) Atto says the lil disk runs 118514 read and 91149 write.
I swear the link you provided and the box I got looked exactly alike. I did notice the part # were different.
Gotta be careful with these I guess and know exactly what you are looking for.

Last edited:

Jumpin Jack

Are there any special hardware requirements to using a SSD? Like compatible M/Bd??? Thanks...

Last edited: