• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

confirm my gpu decision

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pinky33

-Budget ~$200, less is better :)

-Monitor 2560x1440 dell ultramon
-60Hz
-My budget says I will have to run new games at 1080.

-16GB Mem

Currently have 7950 3G windforce

I was looking at rx 480/580 on ebay just now. A quick search shows a lot of very cheap used $120 480's 8GB and $160 580's cards on ebay. Most likely from mining.

Any reason to not buy a 580 mining card? Assuming it was not abused in a hotbox. But I figure most people that want to make money are smart enough not to risk burning up there $300-400 card. Also buying a used reference style/cheap 480/580 would allow me to afford the SXPC 480/580 in our classifieds section. (nothing like throwing $60 at a water block that will gain you $10-20 worth of increased performance).

I am looking for best bang for buck new or used. A quick search on newegg shows 580's about $200 and dropping. Seems like a decent deal. 1070 is out of my price range.

Thoughts? Been so long since I have really looked into a build. Last build was q6600, lol. The 2600k I have now was a pity hand me down from a friends. The mobo on/off pins are broken and I have a ps2 keyboard hooked up and wake on through that. USB Wake On will not work.

Conclusion. For $200 a new 580 8GB is my best bet. Used 480/580 is a risk but worth it???

If I am missing something or incorrect please tell me.

Thanks.

I have purchased used cards in the past for folding. I've had some great deals but most have been a bust for me. It is possible that people selling their 580's were not mining but buying what they could afford because all of the other cards were sold out to miners.

It's a gamble though and for me to say otherwise would be foolish. You might win big and you might loose big. Can you afford to loose? Answer that and you will have answered your bigger question.

If you are going to pick up a used card on ebay I would wait until they have a 15% off coupon. That extra 15% off could also get a 1070 for $210-215. I would just make sure you get one from a manufacturer with a good warranty.

rx 580 got the job done. Mostly high settings at 1080 are giving me average of 50fps with drops to 36 a few times a round.

Just showed up to a LAN and a friend had an extra EVGA 1080 in his trunk. Using that until he needs it back, could be mine forever :)

EVGA 1080 lets me play nearly max at 1440 so thats nice.

It should play everything at max and get notably better performance than what was mentioned above.

If I completely max setting at 1440 I have dips in the 35fps. This a beta game so maybe that's why. Taking a few things off ultra max extreme keeps me at 60+fps with dips into 45's.

Maybe my dated i7-2600k is bottlenecking me a little. Have it clocked at 4.5ghz stable all night. Shooting for 5ghz next time i have time.

Less power draw, Temps under load are so low vs rx 580! Way quieter.

Thank you gfx card gods.

Looks quite low indeed, but the difference between High and Ultra often consists in settings that allow a small quality gain at a large performance hit. On stock clocks, the i7-2600K is about 30% slower than i7-6700K, which would probably be the minimum used by reviewers in testing rigs.

I have purchased used cards in the past for folding. I've had some great deals but most have been a bust for me. It is possible that people selling their 580's were not mining but buying what they could afford because all of the other cards were sold out to miners.

It's a gamble though and for me to say otherwise would be foolish. You might win big and you might loose big. Can you afford to loose? Answer that and you will have answered your bigger question.

Yeah… the amounts I've lost should already have convinced me to just buy NIB or at least refurb or transferable warranty, except they haven't. I still try to buy stuff that has been barely used but has in fact been used and is confirmed fully operational, functional and efficient as per specification (no DoA, bad binning etc.). For GPUs that would ideally be no mining, or short-term mining, or mining at 75% power. I'm wary of deals on components that are almost new or in fact NIB but have no warranty because e.g. they were a contest prize or the seller has lost the invoice. The seller gets like 80% of the shop price, you get like 20% off but all the risks. And obviously if the seller claims the component is 2 years old (verifiable) but has only been used for 2 months in light conditions (less verifiable), then it boils down to credibility — like proverbial use cars essentially.

Concerning GPUs specifically I simply regard the current situation as abnormal and justifying some exceptions. I'm about to buy a barely used MSI Gaming X 1070 ti for about $360. If I could get a NIB+warranty piece at, say, $480 (or 1080 at just above 500), chances are I wouldn't skimp. I would normally stay in safer range with 1070 @1080p, but I could be getting a 1440p monitor soon, so there. But if anybody asked my advice, I wouldn't advise doing it. I'd say 'get warranty'.

Last edited:
Looks quite low indeed, but the difference between High and Ultra often consists in settings that allow a small quality gain at a large performance hit. On stock clocks, the i7-2600K is about 30% slower than i7-6700K, which would probably be the minimum used by reviewers in testing rigs.

Yeah… the amounts I've lost should already have convinced me to just buy NIB or at least refurb or transferable warranty, except they haven't. I still try to buy stuff that has been barely used but has in fact been used and is confirmed fully operational, functional and efficient as per specification (no DoA, bad binning etc.). For GPUs that would ideally be no mining, or short-term mining, or mining at 75% power. I'm wary of deals on components that are almost new or in fact NIB but have no warranty because e.g. they were a contest prize or the seller has lost the invoice. The seller gets like 80% of the shop price, you get like 20% off but all the risks. And obviously if the seller claims the component is 2 years old (verifiable) but has only been used for 2 months in light conditions (less verifiable), then it boils down to credibility — like proverbial use cars essentially.

Concerning GPUs specifically I simply regard the current situation as abnormal and justifying some exceptions. I'm about to buy a barely used MSI Gaming X 1070 ti for about $360. If I could get a NIB+warranty piece at, say, $480 (or 1080 at just above 500), chances are I wouldn't skimp. I would normally stay in safer range with 1070 @1080p, but I could be getting a 1440p monitor soon, so there. But if anybody asked my advice, I wouldn't advise doing it. I'd say 'get warranty'.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127950 $499.99 for a 1080 with rebate.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137084 $469.99 with rebate

-Budget ~$200, less is better :)

-Monitor 2560x1440 dell ultramon
-60Hz
-My budget says I will have to run new games at 1080.

-16GB Mem

Currently have 7950 3G windforce

I was looking at rx 480/580 on ebay just now. A quick search shows a lot of very cheap used $120 480's 8GB and $160 580's cards on ebay. Most likely from mining.

Any reason to not buy a 580 mining card? Assuming it was not abused in a hotbox. But I figure most people that want to make money are smart enough not to risk burning up there $300-400 card. Also buying a used reference style/cheap 480/580 would allow me to afford the SXPC 480/580 in our classifieds section. (nothing like throwing $60 at a water block that will gain you $10-20 worth of increased performance).

I am looking for best bang for buck new or used. A quick search on newegg shows 580's about $200 and dropping. Seems like a decent deal. 1070 is out of my price range.

Thoughts? Been so long since I have really looked into a build. Last build was q6600, lol. The 2600k I have now was a pity hand me down from a friends. The mobo on/off pins are broken and I have a ps2 keyboard hooked up and wake on through that. USB Wake On will not work.

Conclusion. For $200 a new 580 8GB is my best bet. Used 480/580 is a risk but worth it???

If I am missing something or incorrect please tell me.

Thanks.

RX 580 will be the best choice here

Back