• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Confused by Temperatures

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gcwebbyuk

I am trying to set my system up correctly using SpeedFan, and trying to name the temp sensors, so that I can get a better idea of whats what.

Running a HandBrake encode, and watching a video in Windows Media Centre.

I have run Everest Ultimate, which shows my motherboard temp at 45c, and my CPU at 59c, and all CPU cores at 54c.

I then run CPU-ID PC Wizard 2009, which shows my processor temp at 45c, my mainboard temp at 59c, and all CPU cores at 54c. Also Power/Aux at 52c, which I am guessing is my PSU?

CoreTemp shows my core temp at 54c, so I am confident that my core is correct, its just which one is my motherboard (and which bit of the motherboard is it) and which is my CPU (and which part of the CPU is it)?

OP
gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk

Thats what I guessed, but I thought that the CPU temp was usually lower than the core - or am I wrong?

OP
gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk

Which part of the motherboard is actually sensored and what are safe temperatures, and preferred temp?

Bobnova

The "CPU" temp isn't really accurate or relevant to anything, it's the core temp you want to watch, those are the temps inside the actual CPU cores themselves.