• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

*confused* My overclocked 9800 pro gets a lower score than stock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yamiyanazz

I'm really confused...

I just got my 9800 Pro today, ran a benchmark....5681

I overclock the sucker....410 core, 370 memory...now I get 5347

Does anybody else see something fishy about this? :eh?: Why would my overclock score me less points...I don't understand this at all! :confused:

Has anyone else had these problems? I can't show both of my projects, but here is my current overclocked one... http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2698527

Any help would be appreciated.

Its a very good possibility that you are getting artifacts. If you dont have sufficient cooling and you overclock it is possible to reduce your score. Same thing happened to me. try lowering the clocks a bit to maybe 400 and 350 and see if that gives a higher score. If you want to be able to overclock it more I would tell you to pick up a VGA Silencer and some ramsinks. That will help significantly if you want to oc your card. Just for example, the most I could get out of my card was 402 350 before i got my vga silencer and some ramsinks. As you can see in my sig I now can run it at 432 370. Quite the improvement.

you hit points in your clocks that affect your speed. first you hit the max clocks it'll run well, then a higher clock that actually degrades performance, then a clock that causes artifacts. just because there are no artifacts doesn't mean you're at your best speed ;)

crimedog said:
you hit points in your clocks that affect your speed. first you hit the max clocks it'll run well, then a higher clock that actually degrades performance, then a clock that causes artifacts. just because there are no artifacts doesn't mean you're at your best speed ;)

This is very true, I was doing that with my 9800pro. I was getting basically the same score with clocks that were WAY higher than my previous ones. You just have to keep on testing it and find it's sweet spot. If you are not happy after that, you will probabily want better cooling as stated above. good luck.

Yeah...I don't know what is happening with my card...I just now tested again after resetting my speed and restarting my computer....now I get 4940...I know something is not right. I've lost nearly 1000 3dmark points for some strange cause...I hate it.

I think I'm going to re-install the stock cooler and then reset to bios settings....this is lame.

tfr2087 said:
How bad were the artifacts? If you got any that is.

forgot to mention this one...there were NO artifacts. I even clocked it down 10-20 MHz from ATItool's max clock speed...

Now it is all back to stock settings. 4950... What happened to all my points? **** this is annoying and upsetting. Maybe I fresh install of windows will help...

I think a fresh install would be a great idea. All of your tests are looking low, especially GT1. 5800 is about what you should be looking at at stock, I should think.

Likely a coincidence. Likely a software problem is the cause of getting a lower score, chiefly if the video then suddenly starts stuttering when previously OK.

Having processor hogging processes are a likely cause.

FYI, also with 3D Mark 2001 SE, look at the FPS of the tests, NOT just the score!!! It's possible with 3D Mark 2001 SE to have a lower number of 3D marks, but noticable FPS increases with at least some tests, WHICH IS A GOOD SIGN.

How bout some different drivers after you reinstall too. I personally love the omega 4.6, but I hear the 4.6 cat are good too. Anybody know how the 4.7 betas work?

WheaT said:
How bout some different drivers after you reinstall too. I personally love the omega 4.6, but I hear the 4.6 cat are good too. Anybody know how the 4.7 betas work?
Haven't tried em personally yet, but I know of plenty that love them. They are the highest scoring cats to date, for just about every ATi card.

So are you saying that I should try the Cat 4.7beta when I re-install? Okay...I don't see why not.

Yay! Reformats rock. Fresh install of XP makes things all nice and good. Faster. Loving it! I also got my points back. Backing up was a pain though...check this out!

Attachments

• harddrive.jpg
    harddrive.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 54
Back