• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Confused on nVidia boards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dgunthert

Registered
Haven't shopped for hardware in a while, but my girlfriend needs a new video card. I'm at a loss to understand why the FX 5200 and 5600's are cheaper than all of the GeForce 4 TI cards. What's the deal? Isn't the FX the latest and greatest GPU from nVidia? What's the comparison in peformance? Assume she wants to spend around $125, what's the best option?

Gunner

It's because they stink, that's why ;) A Ti4200 beats the 5600 :p

Only difference, the FX will run all the directx9 games/features, while the GF4 cards only work with directx8.1 and back... but for now that's fine as very few games use the directx9 advancements anyway... and when I say "run", it will produce the effect but dog big time in fillrate, so it's really a pimpin mercedes with a Yugo 3 cyclinder engine :p

Get her a GF4 Ti4200.

Because the new FX series is as loud as a Hoover. Plus, the gain wasn't all that significant, and I've heard the overclocking potential isnt as high either, but I can neither confirm nor deny that. Honestly, ATI is really the way to go right about now. I'm not partial to either side. But if I had to buy a card today, I'd get an ATI.

Back