• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Confused...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mentes

Registered
Well, I installed my first w/c yesterday. Booted up fine, no probs, cept the tubing was way too long. So I cut it, and booted up No prob heat was a lil bit higher cause it was still bleeding, but the tubing was still too long. So I cut again, bleed, and put in, and the fans spun but no display. I was freaked. I turned off checked all connections and noticed one of the connectors was touching my fan wires ( connected to an outside power supply). So I moved them bam booted up but frove at the memory check, every time. Slowly I thought maybe it was overheating? So I removed the water blocks, checked the thermal grease
and reinstalled. Now I get no beeps, no display. Please tell me I didnt fry them? If I did I think Im gonna die, because I saved up my paycheck for 4 months to get these parts =/ If anyone has any advice at all, please dont be afraid to pm me, or leave a reply.

Aol: Wesdacheezmo

Mentes said:
Well, I installed my first w/c yesterday. Booted up fine, no probs, cept the tubing was way too long. So I cut it, and booted up No prob heat was a lil bit higher cause it was still bleeding, but the tubing was still too long. So I cut again, bleed, and put in, and the fans spun but no display. I was freaked. I turned off checked all connections and noticed one of the connectors was touching my fan wires ( connected to an outside power supply). So I moved them bam booted up but frove at the memory check, every time. Slowly I thought maybe it was overheating? So I removed the water blocks, checked the thermal grease
and reinstalled. Now I get no beeps, no display. Please tell me I didnt fry them? If I did I think Im gonna die, because I saved up my paycheck for 4 months to get these parts =/ If anyone has any advice at all, please dont be afraid to pm me, or leave a reply.

Aol: Wesdacheezmo
First off did you try and clear CMOS?.. Also, I have had my PC shut down do to a crossed wire and it took about 15 min of compllete rest for my power supply to recover from the voltage spike. My guess is that it trigered some sort of protection.

Ok, I cleared CMOS. Switched back to normal. Pressed power.....same thing turns on, no beeps no display. Is that it? Fried? It was freezing up the times before when it booted. I dont understand what could have happened?

Well ussually no bios beep meens dead cpu or power supply..But before you jump to any conclusion I would try and reseat everything. You can test your power supply by jumping two of the wires and just plug in a fan to see if its working properly..on a ATX PWS cross the green wire with a black one to turn them on. you can use a multimeter to test the voltages

Nope, I removed water block and the odor of burnt cpu came to my nose. I looked down at CPU 2, Fried... You can even see it. CPU 1 is fine, but Another 1900 MP, is gonna break me. I have no cash and now Im totally ****ed. My first project up in smoke. =/

always look on the bright side right?... well put it this way you will NEVER EVER make that mistake again?... better learning it now then never.

Mentes said:
Nope, I removed water block and the odor of burnt cpu came to my nose. I looked down at CPU 2, Fried... You can even see it. CPU 1 is fine, but Another 1900 MP, is gonna break me. I have no cash and now Im totally ****ed. My first project up in smoke. =/
aww...man sorry to here that :(..maybe duel 1600 XP's overclocked (bridged to make MP's) would be a cheaper route.. newegg has the AGOIA chips back in stock...mine hit 1806MHz locked ..there $57.99 now but the will be back down to around $52.00 I'm sure.

Yea guys. Thanks I feel alot better now. Im glad they have some understanding people out there. The complete retards at my school who think DELL is the best computer on earth, said its impossible to put a water cooler in a computer. Well I may have failed once, but Im not giving up. Thanks guys and I guess the only way to learn is to fail and try again and again.

Edit: misspelled some words

NO problem Mentes, Most of us here know what it's like to lose parts by trying to get the most out of our systems..Unfortunately, Tis the way of the Overclockers life style...

Sorry to hear your loss mentes :(. I went back to watercooling after a short break, and had mounting problems with my blocks. Noticed the temps way too high on mbm, just on cpu1 (I'm running dual MP2000's on an asus A7M266-D) and after changing the thermal paste from coolermaster premium to standard white goop, CPU temps dropped 5-10C. Are you running your rig splitting the waterblock flow in paralell, or series? I've tried both, and the only thing I've noticed is tidier piping in series...

Mentes said:
Yea guys. Thanks I feel alot better now. Im glad they have some understanding people out there. The complete retards at my school who think DELL is the best computer on earth, said its impossible to put a water cooler in a computer. Well I may have failed once, but Im not giving up. Thanks guys and I guess the only way to learn is to fail and try again and again.

Edit: misspelled some words

sorry to hear that man, bummer. great attitute though, you'll know what to do next time 'round. keep it up, the satisfaction you get once everything is working as you want will be worth the trouble. good luck!

Im using series and thanks for the help guys. I thinking of either selling my other 1900 Mp and getting 2 1600 Xps and unlocking and overclocking. What you think? Just get another 1900 Mp? I notice my CPU 1 seems warmer then the CPU 2? Is this wierd? Ill try to match the inlet/outlet of cpu2 and see if it helps, but it just seems wierd. Oh and I think what burnt is was not enough AS3 on CPU 1 and improper seating of the block. How do you know how much AS3 is enough?

I usualy put enough AS3 on my cpu so you can no longer see the steppings, I use a razor blade to make it nice and smooth, and when i attach my block, I attache it evenly so it never sits on my CPU core crooked. If you do decied to sell your MP, shoot me an IM, i might like to have it.

Im no expert with SMPs, however sometimes one cpu will be hotter than the other. this can be caused by manythings:
one cpu is getting more load
one cpu is getting a higher core voltage
one cpu just happens to run hotter due to the nature of the chips construction
one cpu doesnt have the cooling device installed as good as the other
and sometimes the thermal sensors on the motherboards dont report accuratly.

What water-block was it?

I noticed that with the Maze 3's that you can mount them the wrong way and they'll sit on the edge of the socket plastic slightly above the CPU die and not touch it at all.

I nearly killed my CPU because of this (realised it just in time).

Did you mount the block with tubing on or off?. I usualy mount without then gently slip the tubing over the barbs. make sure tube is'nt pulling the block away from the mobo. I like to have a translucent layer of AS on the CPU core. I also put a layer on the block then gently wipe it off with a clean 'lint free' rag/cloth...

Sorry about the fried CPU :( . Get another 1900 if you can afford it. just be UBER careful when mounting the blocks...

I have the D-Tek Hi Flo Alum. Topped Spirals. I think Ill buy some CPU shims to make sure improper mounting doesnt happen again.

I fried a celeron once due to no heatsink. I turned it on and looked at my desk and there was the heatsink. Very bright idea i thought as i pulled the plug.

Mentes said:
I have the D-Tek Hi Flo Alum. Topped Spirals. I think Ill buy some CPU shims to make sure improper mounting doesnt happen again.
I wouldn't advise shims the rubber bumpers on the CPU should be sufficient..Shims usually result in a bad contact with the core..Don't let this little mishap scare you, just be extra careful when assembling and as always on first boot go right into you bios temp monitoring screen so you know if there's a problem right away. It takes allot longer and allot more processing power to boot into windows so by then its usually to late.

that suxorz, I would prolly get two XP 1600 and overclock the shiz out of them, also sell your MP and you will be saving yourself like $70. OR just buy yourself another MP 1900:)

As for AS3 I put just enough so the top of the cpu turns white, after that I use a motel card to make it nice and flat without lumps, after that mount the cpu and after I mount it I give the waterblock a slite twist to make sure there is good contact.

Its sorta weird that you had a bad contact problem with a waterblock, did you not tighten it down enough or something?

Back