• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

connecting a printer directly to the network

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jokrswild

I have a paralell/usb HP printer, and I want to connect that directly to the network i have set up, so the computer it's currently hooked up to doesn't have to be on to print. At staples they had a box that does that, but it costs 80 or so dollars..

Does anyone have a link to a (reputable) online store for a cheaper deal? Or does anyone have a better idea?

Thanks..

Huckleberry

I'd try looking for a good used unit (eBay, of course).

HP has a few older models of print servers that you could look for. It sounds like you only need a single port version, although you may get a good deal on units with > 1 port.

HP also makes (probably others too) a USB version that is compatible with some of their printers. Its a bit pricey for us home bound folks (I think $170 US list), but you can hook multiple printers to it with a USB hub.

OP
J

jokrswild

Well, we have roadrunner, and we're splitting it up with a linksys router. If it were me, i'd leave the computer on cruching seti, but my dad likes to turn it off when not in use. But he wants to print off his laptop (hooked to the network via wireless. hehe), even when the main system is off. I was just seeing if we could get something cheaper than 80 bucks at staples, or if there was another way you guys could think off.

I'll be sure to see what's available on ebay, thanks!