• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Connection problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SRDSMN

Registered
I'm having a bit of a problem with my connection and I hope someone can give me some advice. Let me start with the basic info.

Cable internet with a Motorola Surfboard and a Linksys BEFSR41 router. I'm a World of Warcraft player and use Ventrilo for raids.

Things were golden for me until a few days ago when I moved my computer into another room and went from using a 25ft cat-5 cable to a 50ft cat-5e.

The lag I'm experiencing in the game is minimal (1-2 seconds tops, and only at high traffic times), and the inbound ventrilo traffic is normal, but my outbound ventrilo is horrible. It sometimes takes my outbound communications as long as 5 minutes to be received by the other people on vent with me.

Any advice that you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think cabling could case that much of an issue, try moving closer and see if the problem persists.

Replace the cable. It could be damaged somewhere along the line. Switch back to the other cable and see if the problem goes away. If it does, its pretty clear you have a lousy cable.

Ensure there is nothing that would cause serious interference unneccesarily close to the cable also.

one thing I never did after moving the computer was reset the connection at the modem, and reset the router. I just did this and it seems like it made a difference. Even something as simple as opening Aol Instant Messenger was quicker. Before resetting, it would take 5-6 seconds after clicking the AIM icon for it to connect. Now it's instantaneous. Will have to see how it performs tonight during a game raid with ventrilo.

Back