• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Connection Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CalsonicGTR

I posted a similar thread before, but the problem went away before too long. Now, its even worse than before. Basically, my connection dips in and out every 30 or so seconds. The disconnect lasts anywhere from 5 seconds to roughly a minute. This happens on all computers connected to the network. Here is how my network is setup

Cable Modem -> Linksys 4-Port Router -> Linksys 8-Port Switch -> 4 computers (in various locations around the house).

My dad (whos know stuff about compueters as well) and I are stumped on this one. Is it hardware related perhaps? Or should I start calling the ISP and complaining?

Posted by Zatrix:
im not expert in the subject but what are your powerlevels for the modems? are they in spec?

Sorry if I sound like a noob, but how would I go about measuring these levels?

Try eliminated two possibilities by taking the router and the switch out of the picture. Go directly from your modem to one of the computers to see if it still displays the same problems.

If not, then you can start looking at those two devices, if it does then your cable model or connection is the culprit.

Back