• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Considering a new TV and would appreciate some help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MarcusarilliuS

Hey guys,

I am in the process of considering upgrading to a new tv.
It will be to replace my KDL40W2000 bravia, which I use as my main PC monitor.
I will be using it for a mixture of watching tv series/movies and gaming.

I was considering a plasma as a friend of mine told me that the issues of IB and IR that used to plague plasmas have been solved, but after reading around different forums I find they are still present.
As it is my main PC monitor this just won't work.
So I decided to look at LCD/LED panels.

Some panels I was considering are..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-T...eeview/dp/B007RTY4HW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

this..

http://www.alternate.de/html/product/Philips/55PFL6007K/1006329/?

and..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KDL55H...?s=home-theater&ie=UTF8&qid=1349221788&sr=1-3
(It's active 3d but from what I can gather the crosstalk isn't noticeable?? Don't know how true that is though?)

My requirements are as follows....

*55-60 inch

*120hz+ refresh and as low a response time as is possible for gaming

*3D(from what I have read active leads to eyestrain and headaches after a while so was thinking passive, what would you guys recommend?)
(I also read that passive can provide zero crosstalk, is this true? As this is very important for me too as I have seen active 3d on a friends monitor and was not impressed with the crosstalk)

*Good contrast and blacks

*No light bleed/bloom or hotspots

Don't know if I can get a panel with all these specs, but if it's possible I'm sure someone here knows about it :)
Just a bit bogged down at this stage from wading through reviews and reading contradicting opinions from different sources.

Looking forward to hearing some suggestions.

Cheers,

Mark.

Displays are so subjective. With a purchase of this import you should really try to find these models locally for a first hand look see.

Makes sense, but unfortunately I live in the arse end of nowhere :) so trying out the latest models is not really possible, hence why I was hoping to get some first hand feedback from folks that had some of the latest models.

*120hz+ refresh and as low a response time as is possible for gaming

*3D(from what I have read active leads to eyestrain and headaches after a while so was thinking passive, what would you guys recommend?)
(I also read that passive can provide zero crosstalk, is this true? As this is very important for me too as I have seen active 3d on a friends monitor and was not impressed with the crosstalk)

You have to be careful when considering 120/240Hz with TV, some (don't know how common that is) of them can only receive data for 60Hz and interpolate the missing frames so it's not a true 120Hz like the monitors.

My Sony Bravia KDL46HX800 has that problem, which I discovered when I connected my computer to try playing in 3D. If I remember correctly I was limited to 1080/24 or 720/60. But that was with my old GPUs (a pair of GTX280), I should try again with my 670s to see if that changed (in case the 280s were limited to an older version of HDMI).

The issue I think is HDMi is limited to 60hz, only display port offers 120hz from what I can gather.

That's why I was thinking passive was the best solution as it will send the 1080p 60hz signal and then the tv splits the vertical lines and gives half to each eye @ 60fps, as far as I can tell.
Also passive seems better as there is no crosstalk or eye fatigue.

Also the argument that some were making that active are better due to 1080p per eye has been refuted, as your brain combines the image back to 1080 so it looks nearly as sharp but benefits from no crosstalk or eyestrain.

Back