• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

considering folding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hooohaa2

Registered
I am currently a SETI cruncher, should I start folding? what is better about folding, if it is "better"? will my three pcs make a difference?

NASsoccer

On a string I was held Senior
What are proteins and why do they "fold"?
Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out their biochemical function, they remarkably assemble themselves, or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, remains a mystery. Moreover, perhaps not surprisingly, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious effects, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, and Parkinson's disease.( - From the Stanford page)

think i will quote ploaf on this one:

Folding is [email protected] It's a distributed computing project that exists to find out how proteins fold and misfold in the body. When a protein creates itself it does so by a process known as folding. Misfolding is what happens when something goes wrong during the folding process and is thought to be responsible for a number of diseases such as alzheimers. The project is creating models to find out what causes the misfolding of proteins by breaking down the folding process and recreating it so that it can be further analyzed. This requires awesome amounts of computing power which has, for the most part, been unavailable to researchers until now because most supercomputers simply aren't powerful enough to process the information. This is where we come in. Thousands of people, many grouped into teams like ours(go team 32), volunteer their PC's to help with the research. The information is broken down into small manageable pieces and distributed to the various PC's so that they can perform the necessary calculations and then send the information back to Stanford University where the results are then recombined. This way PC's connected to the internet can be used together to create a virtual supercomputer more powerful than what is available to most universities.
More information is available in the folding section of these forums and at http://folding.stanford.edu and there are a lot of people in the folding forum that would be glad to help you if you decide to join our effort. If you would like to try it out the client is available at http://folding.stanford.edu/download.html

now what is "better" between the two is usually a matter of opinion, personally i don't see us finding anything with SETI but with folding we could se results within the next 20 years, more than likely less than that. Your 3 will surely make a difference. [email protected] is substantially smaller than the SETI project with way less cpus contributing, your 3, every mhz, makes a huge difference!

FOLD ON
NAS

OP
hooohaa2

hooohaa2

Registered
thanks N.S. I thought you would be the first to reply, lol... btw, i have a new laptop for you to set up... maybe you can teach me how so I can quit bugging you....

NASsoccer

hooohaa2 said:
thanks N.S. I thought you would be the first to reply, lol... btw, i have a new laptop for you to set up... maybe you can teach me how so I can quit bugging you....

lol...np:) is it a 98 machine or XP? i guess i will have to drop by tomorrow and get you to fill out a work order:D is the laptop new? what is it?

FOLD ON
NAS

OP
hooohaa2

hooohaa2

Registered
2000 lol... its an HP Pavilion with an XP 1500. I think it was rather foolish to put a 1500 in there, I already have third degree burns on my lap from the bottom of the thing...

OP
hooohaa2

hooohaa2

Registered
its not mine either, its Spiderman's (Will M.) I am just setting it up for him

NASsoccer

hooohaa2 said:
its not mine either, its Spiderman's (Will M.) I am just setting it up for him

oh yeah, that laptop, i remember you mentioning that now! well i hope you will start folding with us, you can put it on the laptop too ;)

FOLD ON
NAS

doer

It's more propable to find cures for diseases than find alien intelligence. Although I love sci-fi and would love to see some alien intelligence discovered I believe folding will yield more results than seti.

Rottys-R-Us

Jester
hooohaa2 said:
I am currently a SETI cruncher, should I start folding? what is better about folding, if it is "better"? will my three pcs make a difference?

Befor I was gone away for a while I did SETI. And did enjoy it, BUT folding is trying to help mankind out, AND boy do we need it, are we worth saving,hehehe ;)

And the 3 rigs in my sig [email protected] 24/7/365, So Cal Edison like's me :D

Fold-eth on dude :burn: :burn:

BTW, if you were ETI would you want to comunicate with us???:argue: ;)

OP
hooohaa2

hooohaa2

Registered
lol. if i were ETI, i don't think i would, unless i planned on taking things over.