• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Considering going back to air...large & quiet case?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pood

I've been using liquid the last 1.5 years, but I haven't maintained it, now there's so much gunk in it that I've gotta dismantle the whole setup. Since I don't do any sort of overclocking and I don't do a lot of gaming anymore. Maintaining this system just isn't worth it for me.

I'm considering moving back to air.

I've got a 8800 gts, 780i mobo, q9450 cpu. corsair TX650W psu, 4 WD Hds, 4 raptor drives.

I looked at the solo and p183, but obviously they won't be able to hold all my hardrives. I'm currently looking at the Whisper and HAF932.

What's the quietest case that can support all my stuff? I'm willing to spend up to $250 for the case. Another $150 on dampening, fans, and coolers.

I'm going to pick up a fanless GPU and CPU cooler as well.

Any suggestions?

OP
P

pood

haf 932 / antec 1200 is a good choice +_+
True / Megahalmens are good high end air coolers
For fan. Yate loons are cheap or u can buy some Gentle typhhon / panaflow :)

Know what the noise level is between the haf932 and the whisper?

I'm going to assume the haf932 has lower noise because of the larger fans, but it only has 5 3.5 bays, though I guess I can mount my remaining hardrives on the 5.25 bays.

I'm definitely set on getting the megahalmens for my cpu and probably the accelero s1 vga cooler (that'll fit my 8800 gts right?)

I know the megahalmens is a pretty tall heatsink, will that fit in the haf 932?

GIXXERGUY6

Know what the noise level is between the haf932 and the whisper?

I'm going to assume the haf932 has lower noise because of the larger fans, but it only has 5 3.5 bays, though I guess I can mount my remaining hardrives on the 5.25 bays.

I'm definitely set on getting the megahalmens for my cpu and probably the accelero s1 vga cooler (that'll fit my 8800 gts right?)

I know the megahalmens is a pretty tall heatsink, will that fit in the haf 932?

yeah if my v10 fits in my vh6000bws you'll have no problem with the megahelm.

what is your current water set up now?

I want first dibs...pending information

Ha-Nocri

CM Storm Sniper is another nice case that has 3 big 200mm fans, all connected to a built-in fan controller (very quiet and cool nicely on the lowest speed) and a led on/off switch. Also, all intake places have dust filters. I got one over HAF and 'm really liking it...

OP
P

pood

Thermochill PA102.3 + Thermochill PA 120.3 Shroud
Swiftech MCW60-R VGA cooler + MC8800 Kit
D-tek Fuzion V2 + D-tek Fuzion V2 Quad Core Insert
Swiftech MCRES-Micro Reservoir
Swiftech MCP655™ 12 VDC Pump
Tygon 1/2 ID R-3603
3x Yate Yoon D12SL-12, low from Petra.

on a cut up aluminum lian-li case.

the radiator comes with the case and reservoir, but I suppose I can sell the other stuff separately.

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
My CM Stacker 8100 (out of production but still available) keeps everything (my #1 Commando rig) nice and cool with minimal dust infiltration as long as you keep the dust filters cleaned on a monthly basis.

Ancient_1

The Silverstone FT01 would be real close to what you want. It has drive cages that holds 7 HDs which is more than most (you could put the 8th in a ) and with the CP05 adapters they can be hot swappable and it's fairly quiet. The main drawbacks are that it only accepts ATX or smaller MB's, it doesn't have a fan in the side panel so a fan-less gpu cooler would probably run fairly warm and extremely long video cards require the removal of one the hard drive bays (they advertise 10.5" will fit but I measured 11.25 to make sure a 5870 would fit that I am considering getting).

With the way the fans are setup it doesn't have the massive air flow many of the cases have now but it does cool the hot ares of the MB and supply cool outside air to the cpu cooler along with also having an intake directly cooling the HD's.

It may not be the ideal case for your needs but is one to consider. I got the one with the window mainly to get the black chassis the non window is bare aluminum.

Here is what mine looks like with all 7 HD's installed (3-RE3 1tb and 4 Seagate 1.5)

1.jpg

Also it does a good job with dust. Here is a pic I just took to show better the HD cages and the room available for vid cards and you can see there is very little dust. I have not cleaned it since I put it together just about a year ago and it has run 24/7 since, the info read from my main RE3 says it has been powered on for 354 days and 10hrs which was new for the build.

Attachments

• hdcage.JPG
    hdcage.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 266

GIXXERGUY6

Thermochill PA102.3 + Thermochill PA 120.3 Shroud
Swiftech MCW60-R VGA cooler + MC8800 Kit
D-tek Fuzion V2 + D-tek Fuzion V2 Quad Core Insert
Swiftech MCRES-Micro Reservoir
Swiftech MCP655™ 12 VDC Pump
Tygon 1/2 ID R-3603
3x Yate Yoon D12SL-12, low from Petra.

on a cut up aluminum lian-li case.

the radiator comes with the case and reservoir, but I suppose I can sell the other stuff separately.

not looking for the case.

just the cooling stuff.

rad, block, pump, res, fans, etc...

I'll hit you up in pm

OP
P

pood

just the cooling stuff.

I'll hit you up in pm

gotta sell rad and case together since the case is pretty much useless without it (top was completely cut off for radiator)

muddocktor

Retired

just the cooling stuff.

I'll hit you up in pm

And that has just cost you your access to the Classifieds forums for a while for starters. And if I see one more post of you trying to buy through PM you will be gone from this site. This is your second post in this thread with you trying to buy outside of our Classified Areas, which we don't tolerate. We'll start off with a 30 day Classifieds suspension and go from there. And, this is not debatable.

muddocktor
Forum Moderator

bruceymoo

Registered
If you dont do alot of gaming or anything that requires too much use of the graphics, and you want a fanless card i can suggest the Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS 256Mb.
I have a mate who uses that with his PC. He hardly uses that but he never uses it long enough to get too hot.

I like Nvidia, but if your not too keen there is a nice Radeon graphics card i have heard about, it is the ATI Radeon HD 4550, It is alot more powerful than the Nvidia card mentioned above. heres a link for this card; http://www1.sapphiretech.com/nz/products/products_overview.php?gpid=260&grp=3
Im not too sure of its price,but its all i could think of for fanless GPU's.
Good luck for the Mods.

OP
P

pood

just picked up the 932 case = beautiful

going to get a 4850, still pretty powerful, little more than a $100 and can run without a fan with the accelero s1

muddocktor

Retired
From all I've heard, the HAF932 is a great case. I have a HAF922 that I got when Newegg had them on sale after Thanksgiving and I really like it too. It's basically a slightly smaller version of the 932.

psionic98

I also have the 922 and can't complain a bit..the stock front/top fan are pretty quiet and with 2x scythe sflex fans on my HSF i hardly hear anything.. now if i crank up my panaflo on the side door.. thats gonna make some noise, but overall its a good case.. plenty of room for my big hands to move around and put stuff together, plus it has the cutout for HSF mounting w/o taking out the mobo, which I loved!

but with that many hdds you're looking at putting one or more into the 5.25 spots for sure

OP
P

pood

i picked up the 4 in 1 hd converter from CM. now i'm set!

jazon1

funny i just pulled my liquid cooler out for the same reason,needed to be de-sludged,i ran some peroxide through it and it helped alot,but its just not worth the effort i only do a slight OC and the liquid is to risky and to much maintenance to be worth the effort.if your not OCing just use your cooler that came with your i7 and save your money they work fine ive read

OP
P

pood

finally got everything installed.

the system is quieter than my WC;)