• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Constant freezing without known reason or cause?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AlchemyCarta

Registered
Alright, here we go!

Loooong story short, I've come to the conclusion that NO MATTER what I do, my PC freezes as soon as anything Windows pops up.

It started with me upgrading a few parts, and trying to turn on the PC but I thought my drives had died on me.
So I bought a new SSD and a 3TB HDD.
Same thing.

I put the disc in to install windows, and it'd freeze at random points. It got to the point where as soon as the windows logo popped up and asked what I wanted to do, I'd basically do a speed run of selecting my drive, formatting, and installing. But no matter what, It'd always freeze between the actual Logo and 4 spheres loading, all the way to when it said it was finalizing the installation after the restart.

So I went to my father and begged him to let me put my SSD into his PC and use his disk drive to install windows. (I thought my Disk Drive was going out)
Well, it worked, first time, everytime.

I came home, plugged it in, and got the "Boot MGR is missing".
So I went out and bought a USB drive to load an ISO onto it and install it that way.
Same thing happened; the freezing.
So then I did something stupid and pirated a copy of Windows to see if maybe mine was bad, and holy hell! It worked! First time in 3 whole weeks, I finally managed to get to a desktop!
Then it froze. And it keeps freezing. But now, it's anywhere from the first second that my desktop loads to 30 seconds after it fully loads.
I tried installing windows to my other drive, and it's still freezing so I don't even have enough time to select the damn drive to format it!

I've switched my RAM out, the CMOS battery, Harddrives, and peripherals.
NOTHING WORKS!

Bios is fully updated and it never freezes once when I'm there. I know it's none of the sata cables because I've switched them all out between 5 different harddrives. I've gone from discs, to USB, to even different versions of windows.

I am running out of ideas and possible causes for this! 3 weeks later, I am still stuck and have gotten nowhere except more broke...
Someone, please help me before I throw this thing out the window of a moving car! D:

The parts I upgraded/added, just in case anyone is curious.

Diablotek 775W PSU > Rosewill Lightning 1300W
XFX 7870 Double D Ghz Edition > Asus R9 280X V2
Sabertooth 990FX V2 > Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB > Seagate Barracuda 3TB\
(Added) Samsung 840 Pro (240GB)

So I went to my father and begged him to let me put my SSD into his PC and use his disk drive to install windows.

Sounds like Your DVD drive is going bad.

But running memtest never hurts either. Test with one stick in the system at a time.

Those 2 things come to mind first.

Well, that's why I bought a new flash drive, mounted the .ISO onto there, and installed it.
But it is still doing the same thing, and now even on the desktop the second it fully loads up. Hell, once it didn't have time to finish scanning a different usb drive connected before it froze.

And I switched out the current RAM with my old memory and even took one out a time for both kits. Same issue.

Ha haha, that was actually my biggest issue last year with my first build and that damn thing! Turned out, the disc that they gave didn't have drivers for Win 7 on it! Only Vista and maybe XP, if I remember correctly.
Damn thing drove me insane for 2 days, but after countless re-installs of Win 7 and all the damn drivers, I figured it out.

ANYWAY, I tried your method....It was an adventure!
I began unscrewing the bracket to pull it out and...well the screw managed to drop in my PSU...
So I unplugged everything and manhandled the 40Ibs, jumping up and down with it in my arms upside down. (This is a massive full sized tower, and I'm not a big guy...
So I ended up having to quickly wake my girlfriend up in panic...Well she freaked out because she thought I caught the house on fire....
Good times...
Well we got the screw out, nothing else went wrong, and I took out the sound card and removed the CMOS battery...
Well it worked!...for about 45 seconds and long enough for me to start a victory dance and think about sending you a cookie basket, but then it froze...
Restarted, and it froze...It just kept freezing. Would last anywhere between around a minute to not even being able to get past the "Welcome" Phrase that comes onscreen as soon as your desktop begins loading...
So! New ideas anyone?

Yes, try safe mode and un-install the xonar drivers. If that fails.....

Gosh not sure over here!

In the past, I did however experience a freeze with an under-volted cpu. Check you green settings and set a manual clock and cpu voltage.

Sorry you had a hard time with that screw! I've been there and done just about the exact same thing only I removed the PSU and shook it to death instead of the entire PC LOL.

Well, I have all my cables managed with a bazillion cable ties. So if I wanted to even move the thing an inch or two, I'd have to undo half a dozen cables, ties, and unscrew more cables from the PSU.
So shaking and jumping up and down with a 40.5Ib steel box it was! Ha

I did try safe mode, still nothing.
Also, I've been unable to do anything but open Control Panel or MC before it freezes, so there is no way it's the drivers.. I have literally had a maximum of possible 60 seconds on the actual desktop before it freezes in the last 5 hours...
Unless...
Do you think if I format the SSD, then reinstall it'd work since I removed the hardware? It'd probably take 100 freezed restarts, but if it works, it's worth it!

Well, I have all my cables managed with a bazillion cable ties. So if I wanted to even move the thing an inch or two, I'd have to undo half a dozen cables, ties, and unscrew more cables from the PSU.
So shaking and jumping up and down with a 40.5Ib steel box it was! Ha

I did try safe mode, still nothing.
Also, I've been unable to do anything but open Control Panel or MC before it freezes, so there is no way it's the drivers.. I have literally had a maximum of possible 60 seconds on the actual desktop before it freezes in the last 5 hours...
Unless...
Do you think if I format the SSD, then reinstall it'd work since I removed the hardware? It'd probably take 100 freezed restarts, but if it works, it's worth it!

It's really hard to say. If it's not a problem, yea wipe and re-install.

you could also try a restore point or do a OS repair from the W7 disk.

Yup, 7th paragraph. Ha haha
First few words state I switched the ram out.
But now that I can get onto the actual desktop, I'll try agagain. I'll take out one at a time, and if that doesnt work I'll replace it with the kit I upgraded from a while back.
Keep you posted!

Figured out what was wrong! Turns out, it was my north bridge on the motherboard!
So I am shipping it back ASAP!
I really wish my 280X didn't take up 3 slots so I could have just kept my Sabertooth board. :/

Thanks to everyone who helped though!

Back