• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Constant pointer flickering driving me crazy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Anjow

Whenever the mouse is over a window or program, the pointer is constantly flickering between the arrow and the waiting cursor.

My hardware:

Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3H board
Phenom 9950 CPU
Sapphire ATI 4850
Logitech MX Revolution mouse
Vista Ultimate x64 SP1

I am using the latest versions of all drivers (I have tried both SetPoint 4.60 and 4.70), all were downloaded anew today (had to be, since I was on x86 before).

The only things I have installed (aside from the drivers) are:

FireFox
Daemon Tools
Steam
WinRAR

It persists through restarts. It is there when I uninstall Setpoint and restart. It is there when I change mice. It is there when I change to 'no theme' cursors (as opposed to Aero). It's there when I disable Windows Search.

If I open 'Computer' (i.e. My Computer) In the Vista topic path in the address bar (the 'sanitised' version of the real path) the little arrow on the right of Computer is flickering too.

Does anyone know how I can stop this behaviour?

Zuzzz

Premium Member
Check your Task Manager and see if there is some running task that is taking up CPU cycles and causing this. That would be the first place to start.

Z

OP
Anjow

Anjow

Thanks for the responses.

Aero is not enabled (using basic) and there is nothing using too much resources.

MadMan112

Did you recently installed SP1 and are you using a ATI Radeon card?
If so, try this;

Open Run via Start, type "services.msc", find "ATI External Event" or something like that and stop it and disable it so it won't start if you start Windows.

Restart windows and it should be fixed.

Hope this helps.

OP
Anjow

Anjow

Did you recently installed SP1 and are you using a ATI Radeon card?
If so, try this;

Open Run via Start, type "services.msc", find "ATI External Event" or something like that and stop it and disable it so it won't start if you start Windows.

Restart windows and it should be fixed.

Hope this helps.

Aha. I had read about this and tried disabling it but DIDN'T reboot. I will try disabling it and rebooting.

Edit: The problem persists even when I have disabled the ATI External Event Utility and rebooted.

Interesting: It happens when I'm hovering over a Windows Explorer window on MY computer, but if I open a shortcut to the folders on my home server it DOESN'T happen.

Last edited:

MadMan112

Hmm ok, do you have CCC installed?
If so, try and remove it from msconfig so it won't start if you boot.

If this doesn't help maybe try and restore windows to a month ago.

OP
Anjow

Anjow

Windows is now totally up to date, there were only a couple of updates to install. It's still happening :(

medo145

right click my computer
where it says system
click on windows experience index
on that screen there is an option that says scan or refresh, or you can hit update my score.

OP
Anjow

Anjow

Okay, I did the rating thing, rebooted for good measure and it's still happening. The rating was 5.4 if that's important.

EnemyNSA

Same issue here

Aha. Finally someone who feels my pain.

I have the exact same issue going on. It doesnt really hurt anything, it is just REALLY annoying.

It only happens (so far) in Windows Explorer. The Mouse cursor switches between arrow and circle every 1/2 second. The little Diamond up top in the path flickers too.

Brand new PC w/ Vista Home Premium x64
Updated to latest drivers for everything
ATI HD 4850
Intel i7 920

I've only installed Firefox and some benchmark programs so far.

I've tried everything else mentioned in this thread to no avail. Help!! :)

Thanks

Last edited:

EnemyNSA

Also.. I tried disabling indexing, Windows Defender, restore point..

Uninstalled Firefox and everything else.. to no avail. Lots of annoying flickering.

EnemyNSA

As a side note.. installed Vista x64 SP2 beta.. same issue happening.

Le Sigh.

But Safe Mode does stop the issue from happening. I guess I'll try disabling services and processes.

Last edited:

Pinky

I'd download the trial of spysweeper and run a scan in safe mode, just to be 100% sure there isn't something hiding out or lingering that may have only been partially removed...

There's also doing a system file check... start-->run, sfc /scannow

Just beware that this could overwrite system files that have been modified since the install CD was created (you need an install CD or path to windows install files) or that some other app legitimately modified. This issue is uncommon and sfc tends to be a good tool. Be sure to reboot afterwards.

http://www.support4vista.com/tips/system-file-checker.htm

EnemyNSA

So after a few days of no answers that worked from anyone, anywhere, I reinstalled Vista Home Premium x64 and the issue persisted!

Finally installed Vista Ultimate x32 and no more flickering! No idea what was causing it in the end, but I was about to return everything because it was so annoying.

SeaHeffer

Having the same issue,
Brand new computer out of the box
Gateway FX6800
Core i7
Vista 64 bit
ATI 4850

The flicker is only when the mouse pointer is over the windows explorer screen