• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Constant repairs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Paradoxmaker

Has anyone been having issues with Windows 7 requiring a constant repair of the startup?

After installing the Student version on a clean disk (was XP pro), i have had constant needs for repairing the startup.

After install it worked fine for 4 or 5 boots, then it stopped seeing the USB keyboard on boot, once repaired and booted the keyboard was fine. I thought i had fixed by just going back to a regular old PS2 keyboard.

Then i started noticing the same issues with a thumb drive. If it was plugged in when the computer was booted down and then removed while booted down, i would get startup errors on reboot that required repair. I figured that was OK as long as i remember to remove my drive before i shut down.

Last night however i had another one. It was the 1st boot after doing a complete system backup. I started the computer and was again prompted that the startup was halted and to insert the Win 7 disk.

All in all i like Win 7 but since installing it on oct 23rd i've had to use the disk to either repair or boot from 15-20 times...It's getting a little old.

Ouch, that would get a little old. No USB issues at all here, but I'm not using a USB keyboard either. Printer, camera, matrix orbital, mouse and two different USB keys are all working optimally. Hate to say it since you're so far along with its use, but have you considered a fresh install?

...or at least a repair install as that should touch the necessary system files I believe.

...or at least a repair install as that should touch the necessary system files I believe.

I've had cases of both needing a repair install and being forced to boot from the disk. This morning was a boot from disk.

I know it seems like a USB issue but only about half of the problems have been related to USB devices. The other half have just seemed like random weirdness (like backing up the HD).

You should try running memtest overnite, and see how that goes. If the memory is ok, then download the diag software from the HDD manufacturer and run that.

Last edited:
I noticed on the Ph II system in my sig that when I tried running the Win7RC, I would have weird errors on it. That system also passed an overnight run of Memtest86 and was P95 stable in XP. Since it didn't seem to like Win7RC I just went back to XP on it. I was just messing around on it anyways with the RC version and another hard drive.

I installed Win7 on my sister's laptop and it runs checkdisk at startup very frequently. I should have just left Vista on it as it was running fine.

Well Win 7 has been better for me in the last month...The start up repair issues are MUCH less frequent now...

I have noticed that they do not really seem to be associated with a USB issue anymore.. Believe it or not, they seem to be when i remove the Win 7 disk from the DVD drive...

I can reboot the computer 30-40 times with no issues whats so ever. Take the Win 7 disk out of the drive and almost every single time it will error out on reboot.

Back