• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Constructively criticize my selection please....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CreePinG_DeatH

I am in need of a gaming rig before school starts. I move in mid-august. Iwanted a gaming rig that would be superior enough to last me until all of the new good stuff comes out and is thoroughly tested.

I haven't decided on a decent motherboard, so any recommendations are more than welcome.

2 Plextor 12X DVD+/-RW Drive, Model PX-712A Black, Retail

Mitsumi Black 1.44MB 3.5inch Floppy Disk Drive, Model D359M3D/D359M3B,

Logitech Cordless MX Duo USB/ PS/2 104keys -RETAIL

NEC/MITSUBISHI DP2070SB-BK 22" SuperBright Diamondtron CRT Monitor –RETAIL

Fortron 530W Power Supply, Model "FSP530-60GNA" -RETAIL

AMD Socket 939 Athlon 64 FX-53, 1MB L2 Cache, Windows Compatible 64-bit Processor - Retail

GIGABYTE "GA-K8NSNXP-939" nForce3 Ultra Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 939 CPU -RETAIL

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro PCI Sound Card, Model "SB0360" -RETAIL

Klipsch ProMedia ultra 5.1 Personal Audio System

2 Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD740GD, OEM Drive Only

2 CORSAIR XMS Xtreme Memory Speed Series, Xtra-Low Latency 184-Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200, Model TWINX1024-3200XLPRO - Retail

NVidia CHAINTECH GeForce 6800 Ultra - Retail

Last edited:

Bugalaman

I'd reccommend the Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1's.

Would you rather get the 939 FX53 instead? I thought they were a little better but I'm not sure.

OP
CreePinG_DeatH

CreePinG_DeatH

Actually I would prefer the 939, I totally missed that and thank you. I'll compare to klipsch ultra 5.1's, I also have heard good things about them.

Mike2002

Registered
I'm guessing you are going to be staying in a dorm room?? If this is the case then that 21" CRT is going to give you some major trouble. You might be able to get it to fit on the desk but then you would have no room at all to do any work. Possibly an LCD would be better in your case since I would assume room is going to be such a factor but if you are not tight on room then don't worry about the monitor. Also what video card are you going to buy??

SimGuy

Looks good... for the motherboard I'd hold out the longest you can and pickup a reputable one based upon the NForce3 250-GB chipset from either ABIT or Asus... if they show up before August.

If not, any of the Asus/ABIT K8T800 Pro S939 motherboards will do too. :)

Additionally, that 21" CRT (which I'm sure you are going to keep for a while) is an Invar Shadow Mask monitor. I would recommend stepping up to an Aperture Grille-based monitor for better color reproduction, higher refresh rates, sharper images and an overall better CRT experience.

Recommended 21" CRT's:

Sony F520 (Super Expensive) - Sony Trinitron FD Aperture Grille
Sony G520 (Still Expensive) - Sony Trinitron FD Aperture Grille
Dell UltraScan P1110 (Black) - Sony Trinitron FD Aperture Grille
Viewsonic P220FB (Black) - Sony Trinitron FD Aperture Grille
NEC MultiSync FP2141SB-BK (Black) - Mitsubishi DiamondTron FD Aperture Grille
Mitsubishi DiamondPro 2070SB-BK (Black) - Mitsubishi DiamondTron FD Aperture Grille

Additionally, you'll need a video card too!

Other than that, it looks like a kick-*** system! :)

Aslan

What SimGuy Said. All of those CRTs that he mentioned would be excellent choices. You also might be able to get a Dell P1110 cheaply as a refurb as well. Furthermore, I would also consider holding out for a NF3 250 based S939 motherboard as well, maybe, if you can find it, one with a Dual 16x PCIE so you can get nVidia SLI as well. :) However, something on that line would probably not be available for a long time to come.

Also, in considering an LCD in a dorm room,I would prefer a heavier CRT as it's much more difficult to steal compared to a LCD panel and less flashy as well.

Otherwise, everything looks awesome. :)

SimGuy

Aslan brings up a great point. Big-assed 21" CRT's are incredibly difficult to steal, as they weigh in excess of 70 lbs each and are somewhat ackward to carry. Hell I nearly fell down the stairs carrying it to my desk when I got mine, and I'm not a small guy by any means.

But, as long as you leave your door locked at all times you are in/out of your dorm and cable lock your rig & monitor together, it should deter anyone who may think about stealing it (if they could even run away with that CRT...) :)

OP
CreePinG_DeatH

CreePinG_DeatH

Ok switched to the NEC/MITSUBISHI DP2070SB-BK 22" SuperBright Diamondtron CRT Monitor –RETAIL (Thnx Ctrl-C-V) Looks like a nice monitor. I will be in a dorm room, although I will have a double to myself, all the time. Except for those "conjugal visits." Theft will be the least of my worries. I will most likely getting a new desk anyway.

As far as a video card, last I heard, NVidia had a slight edge in the current Hi-end cards. As suggestions? I was thinking maybe a 6800ultra, but that may be too much... And thanx for everyone helping btw.

Aslan

CreePinG_DeatH said:
As far as a video card, last I heard, NVidia had a slight edge in the current Hi-end cards. As suggestions? I was thinking maybe a 6800ultra, but that may be too much... And thanx for everyone helping btw.

I know this might get some arguments from Video Card fanboys, but I think both ATi and nVidia are essentially the same in visuals and performance, and either would make a good choice. A good choice would be the 6800GT, as it is basically the same as the Ultra, except the core and memory are clocked slightly lower, but the price is quite a bit less.

If you don't want to spend around $350 (what you can find the GT for), then the tried and true 9800 Pro would be good as well; however, I think that considering the rest of your components, you might as well go for the 6800GT or the X800 Pro.

SimGuy

Paint ATI X800 XTPE on one side of a quarter and NVIDIA 6800U on the other side.

Flip coin and buy :D

Quite honestly, you'd be happy wither either unit. NVidia's OpenGL rendering & Linux support is better than ATI's, but ATI's card offers better performance in heavily anti-aliased situations. Your call. :)

Make no mistake though... if you're going all out for a gaming rig, either the 6800 Ultra or X800 XT PE are great choices for high-end graphics :)

//Edit: Have you selected a case yet or are you going for the "parts in a heap" look? :D

Last edited:
OP
CreePinG_DeatH

CreePinG_DeatH

Interesting..... ok, flipping a coin it is then....

As for a case... I bought a Lian Li PC65 I think for my parents' computer. I was not impressed. Sure it is nice, light and well made, but I wuldn't want to touch it for mods and such down the line. Eventually, I want to progress to watercooling, then Chilled water cooling. I wanted a huge case that would give me a lot of possibilities, so I was looking at the 14 bay Chieftec/Chemming/whaterever else case. It's like 26.5 " tall and 8.1" wide I believe. I may want to have someone etch a window or something, we'll see. Inputs?

SimGuy

Full Towers:

Lian-Li PC71/75B
Lian-Li V2000
Chieftec Matrix Full Tower
Chieftec Dragon Full Tower
Chieftec BX Full Tower
Antec SX1200 Full Tower
AOpen HX08 (old school, but Full Tower)
Yeong Yang YY-0221 Server Cube Case
Supermicro SC760P4 Full Tower

For W/C and space for everything you can think of, full tower is the only way to go!

SimGuy

Not for an FX53 :) (J/K)

If you aren't looking to splurge for either the 6800 Ultra or X800 XT PE, than the 6800GT is the next best, as it is 16-pipelines (just like the 6800 Ultra), just clocked slower. You could always get the 6800GT and overclock it to a 6800 Ultra, but with your current setup (and seemingly high budget), might was well splurge for either the 6800U or X800 XT PE. :)

daba

Love your speaker choice!

I'd definitely get the Lian Li v2000, but keep in mind that not all HSF's will fit. The socket is extremely close to the wall. My SP94 barely fits in my V1000B, but it is a Asus P4P800 deluxe MB, so therefore the socket has some clearance from the edge of the partition wall.

OP
CreePinG_DeatH

CreePinG_DeatH

The v2000 looks very nice, plenty of space. However it really isn't what I am looking for right now. I may grab it futher down the line when I get all of the parts that I really want, most likely the next big upgrade.

mR. STuPiD

Might I ask why you are getting a separate elite keyboard and mx700. You can get the MX Duo combo and it will have both plus the keyboard will be wireless. Personally I'd get Z-680s rather than the klipsh's, but it depends on what type of sound you like. The Z-680s sound is more bassy, while the klipsh's is supposed to be more natural. Aside from that, looks pretty sweet so far. Sure wish I had the $$$ for such a nice setup.