• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Consumer rights relating to software & driver support

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BobbyBubblehead

I find ive been sold another duff product let down by buggy interfaces and poor drivers... yeh:rolleyes: who hasnt plenty of times before now :shrug:

It hurts to think back at all the money unwisely spent on hardware thats quickly abandoned by there manufacturers and it gets me to thinking...

Its time consumers had rights to return products that fail to meet a reasonable standard of software and driver support.

soundcards in excess of £350 pounds with no drivers CHING!
network USB hubs that havnt worked for the past two OS CHING! £440
Wireless G11 CHING! £475
Scanner CHING! £535

ARRRGH! :mad: enough! :cry:

So is it not time for just a little more legislation on the hardware pimping high streets... or would it pose more threat to becoming a fairly monotone market with even fewer players for the niche market products such as high end sound cards?

there has to be a farer way to wave goodbye to my ill spent £535 plus :shrug:

deadlysyn

Folding Team Content Editor, Who Dolk'd my stars S
I have been thinking the same thing since Creative decided that they were not going to keep all of the functionality in the drivers for Vista, when the products were still being sold. Some times it may be time to phase products out, but how many people have downloaded hacked drivers, or just dropped Creative products altogether because of the Audigy/Vista fiasco? I am seriously thinking about switching back to onboard audio, simply because I'm tired of a sound card that I bought after Vista was released is still crippled, and probably not going to get all of it's functionality back, even in Win7.

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
I have not run into sound card issue as I was mainly using onboard sound, being deaf person, I can't tell apart the quality of a $500 sound system on a $300 sound card or a pair of $20 speakers on the onboard sound.

I did have an issue with scanner. I bought one new about 6 months before I switched to Vista, and whoops, Canon never offered Vista driver. Mind you Vista had been out for a few years, and they WERE STILL SELLING SCANNERS WITH NO VISTA SUPPORT!! :mad: Best Buy wouldn't take it back after 6 months. I wouldn't try the Geek squad, they'd probably tell me to get a new one and charge me $100 for that.

I also had a good printer, a Canon 5100 one of the early printer that could do A3 and ledger (Tabloid) size. They quit support at Windows ME. I was able to get around that a bit using Win 2000 driver for XP but the driver was crap and wouldn't let me print to A3 with photo cart, only regular card or print to 11x8.5" max with photo cart. I dumped the printer and a few unopened carts at a local Goodwill store when Windows 7 came and it didn't have the printer driver for Canon 5100 either.

Now it is understandable if the companies want to stop supporting older devices but if they quit supporting after just a few months, or are still making them when new OS comes out and they never offer upgraded driver then they need to wake up and realize customer will not always buy new replacement product simply because the support ended a few months earlier. And us as customer we should consider returning products that are poorly supported and getting DIFFERENT brand.

OP
BobbyBubblehead

BobbyBubblehead

It would be intresting to know what the average persons ill spent cash sums to?

no manufacturer can have 100% record on software and driver support. Problems do occur but longetivity of products would be nice. we dont all need that new form factor just because it exists when the current setup still does what you need :-/

one brand im suffering with has fine upto date drivers and firmware for there router then duious support for there wireless usb stick and a more or less total fail on the network usb.
kinda murders any one brand theory for any setup.

seems its still the way for me to work involving the computer last in the chain of events. it could do everything but will all this equipment ever work simultanious... not without the software support.

sure if we had got top side of this situation a couple of decades back then all our cars would drive themselves to wherever you requsted.... safely and glitch free.

deadlysyn

Folding Team Content Editor, Who Dolk'd my stars S
I think the biggest problem is the fact that companies like Creative want to phase out some things, so that they can try to force the more expensive, newer things on the public. While some devices I can understand, like a dot matrix printer in Win7 seems a little redundant to me. Of course, the Audigy was a great series of cards for the budget minded consumers. Some of us just want decent sound, or had an old board with onboard that either had problems or just flat out didn't work, and never took the card out of the builds, even though the newer onboard may be on par or even better. The point is, they crippled the cards on purpose, to try to force the consumers into the X-fi market. When someone else comes along, and fixes the drivers, which Creative could have done, and made a lot of people happy, they decide to threaten the person that just put the correct functionality back in. What kind of respectable company would tell so many consumers, "Hey, we don't care about you unless you buy the more expensive newer products from us!"?

Diggrr

Underwater Senior Member
With all the driver issues I've had over the years, I've adapted to using on board everything. I don't game, so the on board video is plenty for me.

My latest trouble is with HP. The link to drivers on their page greets me with a link to buy a shiny new printer as an upgrade from the nice expensive small business laser jet that I have....not freaking likely!
I found a way around their lack of Win7 support, and have decided not to buy their products again, voting with dollars (though I know that makes little difference to a company their size).

There's also the $80 ATI HDTV tuner card that doesn't work on Intel chipset boards, and the only way I found the problem was buried deep within their website in small print...I ended up giving that card away for Secret Santa (luckily I drew an AMDer).

It seams to me that the computer market could be so much more if they'd adopt a policy of making products that worked so well, you couldn't do without them, instead of leaving us to twist in the wind with current products that lack support or are buggered by lame attempts at something they call software...
Seriously, wouldn't the company that's known for rock solid parts AND support absolutely run away from the competition on it's way to the bank????

Last edited:

dropadrop

I see two sides to this (well three actually). Firstly there is the issue of supporting your product so it functions as designed with future operating systems too - which I believe is talked about here. Second there is a big problem with vendors not being responsible for damage their software (or vulnerabilities in it) cause. This second point is the main reason we see so much vulnerabilities in things like browsers, Flash and Acrobat Reader. The vendor has very little incentive to spend resources to non-obvious tasks such as fixing small bugs...

Third of course is the vendors point of view. They are usually in it for the money, so if there is no regulation they will do what they believe brings in the most revenue.

OP
BobbyBubblehead

BobbyBubblehead

with the bigger picture defined it still doesnt hurt the fact any that when consumerism and capitolist drive gets out of hand regulation can step in and set standards and some control, it takes little more than the effect of a loophole that favours the consumers rights. Im sure companies standards would improve if the prospect of that same capitol could thurther be claimed back under the right neglectful circumstances.

Also it has weight as a green issue, there should be a trend in the future towards products that function for a good duration. Its not enviromentaly healthy to throw all this equipment away just to feed the consumer beast.