• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Contest ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Justy303

What happened to the contest week 7?. Maybe I missed it, but I haven't read anything about it.

Justy303

RoadWarrior

I guess NAS is through with the feather tickling and the sodium pentathol and is having to go find his rubber truncheon and thumbscrews to get people to donate prizes :D

Either that or he hasn't got round to de-installing them from his "testing" rigs yet :D

Jus' kidding, the guy has a real life to attend to, as long as he gets them shipped to me on time, I don't mind if he's a little late posting what they are :D

OP
Justy303

Justy303

RoadWarrior said:
as long as he gets them shipped to me on time, I don't mind if he's a little late posting what they are :D

Hmm,I smell a complot here :rolleyes:
Could you and NAS actually be the same person ???

;)

Anyway, I'm on my seventh p137 in a row.Are all you other this lucky too ?:cry:

Justy303

chrismacan

For a couple of days it seemed that my entire network was doing these P137cunf and other small 0.6 and 0.7 pointers.

What a nuisance. I swithced my rig 1 over to the gromacs core, by using -advmethods -forceasm, after verifying that this rig is stable at the OC.

Now at least one of my rigs only gets 6.2 pointers.

Gromacs is pretty good, I find that it is a little bit slower on points than Tinker. But you always get, for now, big proteins.

If your using a PIII or P4 you will see a speed change, FASTER, Much FASTER points per week. On AMD XP's maybe a half point or point more per week, maybe less.

Thespis377

chrismacan said:
For a couple of days it seemed that my entire network was doing these P137cunf and other small 0.6 and 0.7 pointers.

What a nuisance. I swithced my rig 1 over to the gromacs core, by using -advmethods -forceasm, after verifying that this rig is stable at the OC.
Nuisance? Why would it be? Yeah, it's fun to compete and try to fold as many "points" as possible, but think about it. They need the small ones folded just as much as they need the big ones. Why put the -advmethods just so you get the BIG Gromacs? I put the -advmethods to make one of my rigs fold FASTER, not because of the points. Come on people, keep focus on what this is really about. It's not about who's #1, it's about what we accomplish by simulating the folding of protiens. It's for the article that just got published, not our glory.

/me steps down off of his soap box.

Sorry, but that upset me.

NASsoccer

On a string I was held Senior
gonna get that up tonight guys, had a couple recent donations, like yesterday, so should be up tonight at some point:D

FOLD ON
NAS

nightowl

Thespis377 said:

Come on people, keep focus on what this is really about. It's not about who's #1, it's about what we accomplish by simulating the folding of protiens.

I absolutely, positively agree with Thespis377 on this.

nightowl

Sure the contest is great and thanks go out to all who make it possible!! But that is not why I fold, I dont even know how many points I have because it is not important to me. As long as I am folding I will be happy :burn:

chrismacan

Thespis377 said:

Nuisance? Why would it be? Yeah, it's fun to compete and try to fold as many "points" as possible, but think about it. They need the small ones folded just as much as they need the big ones. Why put the -advmethods just so you get the BIG Gromacs? I put the -advmethods to make one of my rigs fold FASTER, not because of the points. Come on people, keep focus on what this is really about. It's not about who's #1, it's about what we accomplish by simulating the folding of protiens. It's for the article that just got published, not our glory.

/me steps down off of his soap box.

You are right about ALL proteins needing to be folded. Perhaps I should clarify what I meant about a nuisance. Significantly more network traffic, I am on CABLE but I have download limits which get pricey and it dramatically increase (or so I think) the chances for getting bad units and having endless download loops or rigs that are down for a day or two.

The real nuisance is having to check on each rig so much more often with the fast proteins.

I had to QUIT folding for a few months when I exceeded my download limits VERY quickly. I had 3 machines in an endless download LOOP. Cost me extra $$$ I did not have. I kept looking for updates to the Tinker core that would solve that issue. When I heard about 3.14 I started folding again. On only ONE rig, I can't afford to pay extra $$$ for accomplishing nothing.

I hear that the project is moving to the Gromacs core, I am running it on two rigs now. Even though it is less points per week than the Tinker core. It is also supposed to help BETA test for Stanford.

Yes I like the competition, but I am not doing this to be number 1 or any rank in particular.

Although I understand what you are saying, I still take offense that you imply I am only doing this for the points and the desire to obtain a certain rank.

Thespis377

chrismacan said:

Although I understand what you are saying, I still take offense that you imply I am only doing this for the points and the desire to obtain a certain rank.
Please accept my appologies. But the way the first post sounded, just crawled under my skin. Please forgive me.

chrismacan

Thespis377 said:

Please accept my appologies. But the way the first post sounded, just crawled under my skin. Please forgive me.

Certainly, absolutely and without question I accept.

We are all contributing no matter why we fold. I should have been at least a little more specific in my first post. I fold for personal reasons, a family friend with Alzhiemers, grandfather who just died of cancer and a family history of debilitating arthritis.

Something like what crawled under your skin bothers me about Google Compute. If most of their users turn off their machines. How many proteins are not returned within the deadline ???

Thespis377

I know what you mean, That's why Google needs to do something about trying to educate their users more. Maybe they could hold a contest like us and start a forum also. :cool:

RoadWarrior

Justy303 said:

Hmm,I smell a complot here :rolleyes:
Could you and NAS actually be the same person ???

No, you will notice from our posts that NAS lacks a certain, how shall I put it, insanity.

Besides, who goes naming the other voices in their head, that's like crazy or something.

;)

Road Warrior

OP
Justy303

Justy303

RoadWarrior said:

Besides, who goes naming the other voices in their head, that's like crazy or something.

Oh, I never realized that :/ hmm, have to remember that when seeing my therapist.