• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Contests

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ploaf

Well, we have a contest now and it seems to be going pretty well. It also seems that the idea is a popular one for the most part and we may be able to expand on it.
There are a ton of ideas floating around in many different threads on what to do and how to do it, etc.
Maybe we could hash something out with this thread. I am all for the KISS(Keep it simple stupid) method. So it's best if an idea is simple although this has already started to increase in complication. I would rather keep cash donations out of it, because cash, by itself voids the KISS method although I listed it anyway.
Some ideas that I've seen so far.
  • Donating WU's
  • Donating parts and money
  • Seeing if we could get sponsorship
  • Winners based on random drawing
  • Winners based on recruiting attempts
  • Winners based on advancement
  • whatever else you can think of

I'm glad to see the level of enthusiasm rise lately. If contests help with that level of enthusiasm then they can be a good thing.

I agree with you Ploaf. It looks like there is a lot of enthusiasm for this contest and hopefully in a couple of months I plan to donate a processor to have for a contest too. I don't know if I'll be able to swing an XP, but I was thinking that a Morgan Duron would make a nice folding prize. :D I also figure that if we can keep a new prize being given away every month that it would definitely help recruit new members and more importantly, keep the new members Folding@Home as much as they can. I'll let you know when I plan to put up that proc for a contest in a month or so. When I do this though, I will have to let someone else monitor the contest like robertm or you, due to the way that I work. I go to work with no internet access about 2 weeks at a time and then I'm off for 2 weeks, so that pretty much messes me up to monitor a contest.

With team rage3d getting that big folding account from their mystery member, I figure that we need to do something to keep our overall ranking and not eventually get passed by them. I just checked and they are out-producing us by over 700 points per week right now.

I also agree with Ploaf on this. Am happy with the enthusiasm from the contest and in part was what I was hoped would happen. Also like Ploaf I would rather keep cash donations out of it.

For the most part I think Ploaf and myself are on the same wave length when it comes to these ideas. Well I think we are anyway :)

Do to work and my current lack of sleep I dont have any ideas that make a lick of sense. When I think of something else be sure I will chime in :)

I have given this some thought, myself. Two things I am very much in favor of.

1. Prizes awarded for those who recruit the most members
2. Winners chosen by random drawing

In number 2, it would be cool if a system could be set up to where you got a “ticket” for each full point you gain. A “ticket” would be chosen at the end of the contest and the folder with the matching number would win. This would keep the competition high, while at the same time, give those who don’t have a lot of systems available a chance.

What I wonder is what “prize” would people like to see? What would get you motivated to do one of the above?

Well, as for what "prizes" would do the job, I'd like to win a new car or rig! But I doubt that will ever happen, but we can always hope:D
I'm with Ploaf and Robertm on their ideas, we need to keep it simple and fun, That was the whole idea in the first place, have a little fun trying to be helpful. :cool:

I think that what Robert is offering is probably a little more than what was needed to create the interest, but then again, it worked! Seems like some ppl have spurred a little more interest than the way things were before the contest. Guess it's just one of those things that we'll just have to try out and see what kind of responses we get with certain prizes. Most of us don't have the options or money to afford such elaborate prizes, and giving away wu's probably will only spur those of us that are currently participating full time. Maybe we could try to pool together to create a prize fund, like each of us that truly are into it, and donate like 1 or 2 bucks each and appoint a mod to handle, and see how much we could accumulate, and then use it to buy the winner something like his/her choice of new cases, ram chips, etc... (you's get the idea). So there's my 2c:D

The reason I asked is because I have seriously considered donating a new item for a contest. Something between/around $100-$150. There are a couple of suppliers I buy from regularly and maybe they would cut me a good deal if I explained what it was for. Possibilities I have seen are things like the poplar Antec cases or maybe a new G4 Video Card (no…not the $400 one). Another idea was maybe a Duron/MB combo.

Now hold on…I said it was still under consideration. I just dished out a few thousand for personal upgrades and it would be a few weeks before I could commit.

Another thing that would have to happen is for someone to be officially put in charge of this stuff. Someone on the OC “staff” such as the boards moderator. They would take care of keeping the numbers, selecting the winners, taking care of rules and such. Basically, someone trustworthy that I could just have the stuff shipped to and they take it from there.

FeralCom said:
2. Winners chosen by random drawing

In number 2, it would be cool if a system could be set up to where you got a “ticket” for each full point you gain. A “ticket” would be chosen at the end of the contest and the folder with the matching number would win. This would keep the competition high, while at the same time, give those who don’t have a lot of systems available a chance.

I like that idea. It would still give those with the most points a better chance, but I'd like to atleast have some chance of winning for folding 24/7 on this slow computer and enduring the slowness of working with the folding console in the background :)
Would keep those lower on the list more motivated to keep on folding instead of giving up when they see that the race is lost.

FeralCom said:
Another thing that would have to happen is for someone to be officially put in charge of this stuff. Someone on the OC “staff” such as the boards moderator. They would take care of keeping the numbers, selecting the winners, taking care of rules and such. Basically, someone trustworthy that I could just have the stuff shipped to and they take it from there.

I would be willing to help out with things like this. Although I don't think I could lead it, I would like to help.

And your donation sounds awesome!

The one that I thought would be the best was the Duron/Mobo combo, or just the mobo or Duron serperate.

robertm - Yeah. I think we are on the same page. Of course I confess to having leeched all of those ideas from people here and a couple were yours ;)

FeralCom. You're right. Someone does need to be in charge of it however it goes. That ticket idea is a really good one too.

I'll throw my own idea out for a change ;) As for prizes. I was thinking that this stuff really doesn't need to be expensive. Also it would be good if it could appeal to everyone here. I know that AMD is the drug of choice at the moment but if we could open it up to Intel people too that would be great. My idea for a prize would be something more in the middle like a Digidoc5 or a Chieftec server case sans psu or something along those lines. Neither are very expensive but they are both nice items that have a broad appeal. Although XP's and Durons are pretty cool too ;)

Does anyone know how to approach a mfg to see if they would be willing to donate for something like this?

I like a lot of the ideas here - I think the best thing would be an entrylevel/midrange mobo/CPU combo - perhaps a GHz Duron and a KT133A mobo?

I think we shouldn't be too frequent with the contests. They are a good idea but we should pace ourselves - say bimonthly?

HEy if I win and you give me anything.. I'd be happy... the thing that is killing me right now is that If I had entered the other contest I'd be winning :(

David said:
I like a lot of the ideas here - I think the best thing would be an entrylevel/midrange mobo/CPU combo - perhaps a GHz Duron and a KT133A mobo?

I think we shouldn't be too frequent with the contests. They are a good idea but we should pace ourselves - say bimonthly?

whoa.. new name!!

and great idea.. i think it would be a great if the contest were based on recruitment or gains. We could spur new interest in our folding team:eek:

NASsoccer said:

whoa.. new name!!

and great idea.. i think it would be a great if the contest were based on recruitment or gains. We could spur new interest in our folding team:eek:

David is my real name :)

I would be willing to donate a slightly used, but perfectly good Maxtor Diamond Max 60gig 5400rpm hard drive model#96147H8 1
to the cause of getting more interest going in folding. I will even pay shipping as long as it is within the continental USofA.:D

Back