• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Continual Win 10 blue screen during reboot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

techiemon

I am not sure what happened, but my machine is acting incredibly weird, I was finally able to move my old machine over to my new one, and now lots of problems. It has been 3 months, and just this week I started using it, and now, it blue screens when I try to reboot. Every time. And some programs like Active @Hardrive and Skype recorder and Aura are not working correctly.

I ran a who crashed afterwards, results below. And I did a chkdsk also, but nothing is working.

Any suggestions? I would rather not try to go back to previous versions as I have done quite a bit to get my system up and running and it would take days to do it again.

WHO CRASHED REPORT

System Information (local)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer name: DESKTOP-HFIR7QJ
Windows version: Windows 10 , 10.0, version 1809, build: 17763
Windows dir: C:\Windows
Hardware: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., ROG STRIX Z390-H GAMING
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900KF CPU @ 3.60GHz Intel8664, level: 6
16 logical processors, active mask: 65535
RAM: 34264064000 bytes (31.9GB)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

Crash dump directories:
C:\Windows
C:\Windows\Minidump

On Fri 1/31/2020 2:27:30 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\013120-25718-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1B6980)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x0, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80418DAA303)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: MicrosoftR WindowsR Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This is a software bug.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 1/31/2020 2:27:30 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: ndis.sys (ndis!NdisSetEvent+0x15)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x0, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80418DAA303)
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ndis.sys
description: Network Driver Interface Specification (NDIS)
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This is a software bug.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
The crash took place in a Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 1/31/2020 2:12:23 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\013120-24687-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x0, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80718796303)
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 1/31/2020 2:02:54 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\013120-25406-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x0, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF804334FD303)

On Fri 1/31/2020 1:54:36 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\013120-24921-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x0, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF8075A1A2303)

On Fri 1/31/2020 1:51:47 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\013120-24343-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x0, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80379703303)

what does this mean, exactly? New machine but running on old windows?

It just means I was able to move over all my important data, files, mail, etc. It's meaningless. Because now, my new machine is new O/S, new hardware, etc. I only transferred important things. Everything else has been redownloaded and reinstalled, everything fresh.

It just means I was able to move over all my important data, files, mail, etc. It's meaningless. Because now, my new machine is new O/S, new hardware, etc. I only transferred important things. Everything else has been redownloaded and reinstalled, everything fresh.

Are all your programs compatible with Windows 10? What OS did you upgrade from?

Are all your programs compatible with Windows 10? What OS did you upgrade from?

I did not upgrade, this is a totally new install of everything. My previous O/S was Win 7 64. My new machine has all new hard drives, and all old programs were redownloaded from their original websites and reinstalled on the new machine. If there is one that is not compatible with Win 10 I have no idea which one it is.

My event log is full of warnings and errors, is that normal? 2020-02-01 01_22_24-Event Viewer.jpg

Does the motherboard's current bios version support the 9900KF CPU? The 9900KF came along after the 9900k and not all Z390 motherboards being sold will have the right bios version to support the new chip. You can check the bios version by entering the bios itself. Then check Asus' website to see what bios version first offered support for the 9900KF. You can flash the bios to a newer version if necessary.

Having said that, usually, if the wrong bios version is the issue, it won't even boot. But it wouldn't hurt to check.

With that much RAM, it is possible you also need to give the IMC a little more voltage and the RAM itself as well.

Does the motherboard's current bios version support the 9900KF CPU? The 9900KF came along after the 9900k and not all Z390 motherboards being sold will have the right bios version to support the new chip. You can check the bios version by entering the bios itself. Then check Asus' website to see what bios version first offered support for the 9900KF. You can flash the bios to a newer version if necessary.

Having said that, usually, if the wrong bios version is the issue, it won't even boot. But it wouldn't hurt to check.

With that much RAM, it is possible you also need to give the IMC a little more voltage and the RAM itself as well.

Well the first thing I have to do then is contact the installer to remove the Chinese they used to install the system, because although the outlook is in English everything else about the system is in Chinese and I cannot understand anything in the bios right now.

I am attaching some pics of my voltages for your reference taken about 2 minutes apart. I don't have a program to check RAM voltage it seems. Can you tell me what I should tweak the IMC and RAM voltage to? Or how to check it first? But 2020-02-02 11_30_49-.jpg 2020-02-02 11_27_51-.jpg

Being here as long as you have, how did you not hear of hwmon/hwmonitor!? Use it! That said, get your bios situation cleared up and you can see ram/imc voltage there... it may resolve your issue too since you don't know what version. Sometimes new chips don't work at all, sometimes it is limited. But get the right bios on first.

Being here as long as you have, how did you not hear of hwmon/hwmonitor!? Use it! That said, get your bios situation cleared up and you can see ram/imc voltage there... it may resolve your issue too since you don't know what version. Sometimes new chips don't work at all, sometimes it is limited. But get the right bios on first.

Actually I do know this software, haha, I just forgot. I rarely use these, but usually have them installed. I guess I forgot to install this one.
I will try to get the Bios updated and then post back. But in the meantime, here is the data from hwmonitor.

2020-02-02 21_11_07-CPUID HWMonitor.jpg

Shouldn't this problem be put back in the hands of the system builder?

Oh, you have some of those types in Taiwan too, huh?

Oh yes, of course, I think all countries have them.

He replied to my inquiry, with a you tube video to fix IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, but that is only one of the problems, and of course the video doesn't fix any of the issues that I addressed. I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool as indicated in the video, but of course it didn't work, because on reboot the system blue screened and was thus not run. He only looked at the blue screen photo I sent, and didn't read the messages. :bang head:bang head And probably won't.....

Ok guys, I flashed the bios, it was indeed out of date. The blue screen problem has been resolved, thank you.

But three things.. I am also trying to update the MEupdate tool as it seems to need to be updated too, but Asus EZ tool is not detecting the file, it can find the directory, but there is no file for it to use to open to do the update. Any suggestions?

How the heck to remove the Chinese language part of the System? The Bios is in English, the OS is in English, but when it blue screens it's in Chinese. On shutdown and update Windows it is in Chinese. I do not know where in Win 10 to remove this. I have searched everywhere. I even removed the language pack which I need, but it doesn't remove the remnant system Chinese characters, I cannot figure out where it is coming from and the installer has basically told me none of his business, not his job and to reinstall Windows in Engilsh. :mad::bang head:bang head:mad::censored::nono: Bad service!

Also, someone mentioned I should probably tweak my RAM voltages, can you help me decide how much to increase? Here is the latest voltage numbers.

2020-02-04 14_19_05-Microsoft Edge.jpg

Last edited:
ME (Management Engine) updates are done in Windows. Get the file from the motherboard site and click on it.

As ED said, ME updates are done in Windows. That shouldn't be anything you have to involve yourself with unless you're getting a flag in Device manager. The only time I ever see that is with older computers that were manufactured well before Windows 10 debuted. And if the blue screens are now gone, I would not tweak the memory controller voltage or the RAM voltage. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

To completely resolve the language issue, you may need to do a clean install of Windows and make sure that you choose English as the language of installation.

You've probably already done this, but I'll throw it in anyway: https://www.faqforge.com/windows/windows-10/change-system-language-windows-10/

As ED said, ME updates are done in Windows. That shouldn't be anything you have to involve yourself with unless you're getting a flag in Device manager. The only time I ever see that is with older computers that were manufactured well before Windows 10 debuted. And if the blue screens are now gone, I would not tweak the memory controller voltage or the RAM voltage. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

To completely resolve the language issue, you may need to do a clean install of Windows and make sure that you choose English as the language of installation.

You've probably already done this, but I'll throw it in anyway: https://www.faqforge.com/windows/windows-10/change-system-language-windows-10/

As I have already installed all programs and spent much time dealing with Outlook issues, spent over 24 hours over 3 days doing everything, and having to reinstall windows I will be extremely pissed off. There has to be away within Windows to change the install region settings and language within the software itself. I have changed the system region and language settings already, but to no avail. I may have to contact microsoft to see if there is a work around. Even now when FireFox fails for example, the message that pops up is in Chinese, even though the FF is installed in English. I cannot accept this. The installer is an idiot. He claims over 100,000 machines blah blah blah, but never uses Win 10 but installs it for people not knowing how to use it, very unprofessional.

As for RAM and ME, I will leave it alone, I won't update. I have rebooted a few more times, and no blue screen. Just the language issues are a headache if any problem happens, I cannot understand the messages.

Create your own Windows 10 installer using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10. Since Windows 10 has already been installed on the system and the motherboard ID is registered with Microsoft, it should automatically activate as long as you reinstall the same version of Win 10 that is on the machine, e.g. if it's Pro, stay with Pro. If it's Home, stay with Home. As far as reinstalling MS Office goes, if you don't have the physical installation media, you can extract the product key using a free utility called Produkey by Nirsoft. Then you can download Office from Microsoft.

But could this language issue be because the bios is in Chinese?

If you aren't getting blue screens anymore I see no need for you to tweak RAM voltages.

I don't understand what issue you are having with the ME Update Tool. Is this a utility that comes on the disk that shipped with the motherboard? How do you know that the management engine even needs updating? Are you getting flags in Device Manager? I asked that before and you never responded.

Last edited:
Back