• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Control Ultimate Edition: performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

Control Ultimate Edition beats down my 1080ti even overclocked to 2076/6158 (core/mem. clk) even when I downscale the rendering resolution to 1080P from my native 1440p. It doesn't particularly use a lot of VRAM either. I've only seen 6277 MiB of VRAM usage at an output resolution of 1440p and a rendering resolution of 1080p.

1. Was this game designed for AMD GPU's?

2. Is Cyberpunk 2077 or Metro Exodus as demanding as Control?

3. Why is Control so demanding considering it's basically a glorified dungeon crawler game (i.e. entirely indoors)?

Isn't control an RTX showpiece game? so it likely was designed with DLSS in mind.

1. With it being a ray tracing title and released well before amd had ray tracing cards out, can't be an amd sponsored game. Since you own it, pretty sure in the title/splash screens it says Nvidia on it and not amd. Load it up and pay attention, lol.

2. You can look that up in reviews. ;)
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/metro-exodus-benchmark-performance-test/
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/cyberpunk-2077-benchmark-test-performance/
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/control-benchmark-test-performance-nvidia-rtx/

Short answer... yes, even more stressful in most situations.

3. Not sure offhand, but just because it's a large map/world, doesn't necessarily mean it's going to cripple your cpu. Maybe check out a review or two covering the game and it's performance.

6GB is a fair amount of vRAM used for 1440p,...6gb at 1080p id consider a lot these days.

1. With it being a ray tracing title and released well before amd had ray tracing cards out, can't be an amd sponsored game. Since you own it, pretty sure in the title/splash screens it says Nvidia on it and not amd. Load it up and pay attention, lol.

2. You can look that up in reviews. ;)
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/metro-exodus-benchmark-performance-test/
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/cyberpunk-2077-benchmark-test-performance/
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/control-benchmark-test-performance-nvidia-rtx/

Short answer... yes, even more stressful in most situations.

3. Not sure offhand, but just because it's a large map/world, doesn't necessarily mean it's going to cripple your cpu. Maybe check out a review or two covering the game and it's performance.

6GB is a fair amount of vRAM used for 1440p,...6gb at 1080p id consider a lot these days.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is an AMD title (i.e. as indicated in the splash screens) that uses PhysX. Death Stranding also supports Nvidia's RTX, DLSS and AMD's FidelityFX CAS.

Obviously with a 1080ti I'm not using raytracing, so why does Control require so much GPU horsepower?

Would a dedicated PhysX card make any diff. in perf. with Control?

PhysX has been used cross titles for generations now. All I'm saying is that's its an Nvidia game. Looking at a review or two will tell you how it performs with an AMD card. :)

I get the feeling all the debris and particles that go flying in a fire fight in Control are PhysX or perhaps FleX functions. That is where the FPS drops like a rock when I'm playing Control. I think I'm going to try to shoehorn my spare 1080ti in my box as a dedicated PhysX GPU and see if it makes any difference in Control perf.

You can give it a try, but, I highly doubt it will make a significant difference. I don't imagine it to be worth the time, effort, noise and additional power use.

That said, if you try it, test before and after using the same exact settings and report back. :thup:

I get the feeling all the debris and particles that go flying in a fire fight in Control are PhysX or perhaps FleX functions. That is where the FPS drops like a rock when I'm playing Control. I think I'm going to try to shoehorn my spare 1080ti in my box as a dedicated PhysX GPU and see if it makes any difference in Control perf.

If you are going to try benching Control with a 2nd 1080ti for PhysX, might as well put a bridge on the cards & try SLI too.

At least then you should get a notable performance bump... using it for just PhysX seems like a waste to me.

Yep dedicated physx cards are long unnecessary for several generations

Would a 750 Watt PSU be able to handle two 1080Ti's in SLI? I don't think my case could handle that much heat.

The PhysX idea with Control won't work because it doesn't support dedicated GPU's in that role.

Would a 750 Watt PSU be able to handle two 1080Ti's in SLI?
Maybe... what system are you talking about? The old one still in your sig or.....??? (see why we keep asking to update it? :bang head)

The PhysX idea with Control won't work because it doesn't support dedicated GPU's in that role.
Interesting. Typically that is assigned (..a specific GPU for PhysX/CPU/Auto in the NVCP. If a game uses PhysX, it should 'work' when you configure the 2nd GPU to do so. Where did you see that it doesn't work?

Maybe... what system are you talking about? The old one still in your sig or.....??? (see why we keep asking to update it? :bang head)

Interesting. Typically that is assigned (..a specific GPU for PhysX/CPU/Auto in the NVCP. If a game uses PhysX, it should 'work' when you configure the 2nd GPU to do so. Where did you see that it doesn't work?

There's no place that lists Control as capable of GPU accelerated PhysX, but then again, there's nothing to say it doesn't either.

If you look at my profile you can see my new rig there. I don't even think my new Seasonic 850Watt could handle two 1080Ti's in SLI -- at least not with the Asus Strix XOC VBIOS.

The slot I'd have available to install a second 1080ti would be PCIE5:
PCIE5 (PCIe 3.0 x16 slot) is used for PCI Express x4 lane width graphics cards.

Would a 1080Ti work in this slot as a dedicated PhysX GPU? It would have to work off one fan too, because the PSU would be right under the 1080ti.

As many elementary questions as you ask, you should make it easy for these volunteers to help you instead of having to guess what parts you have and are talking about. Good luck. :-/

I don't know if anyone has noticed the annoying lag in texture loading (i.e. where low-res, LOUSY textures are suddenly replaced by hi-res textures) but is the kind of issue direct storage is supposed to address?
It would be nice if Control would instead load hi-res textures rather than using less than half of the VRAM on my 1080ti.

But if I have a PC with 32 GiB or 64 GiB of RAM, why would I want to load stuff off a SLOW NVME SSD when I can have that stuff pre-loaded into RAM (especially in the case of 64GiB RAM address space)?

Back